Hot Water Headache....

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mark logan, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Mark logan

Mark logan New Member

Good Evening All.

I hoping someone can shed some light on my situation. I have and continue to have trouble with my Hot water system. Im thinking this may be a coincidence but worth mentioning, the only things to have changed in the house recently (approx 1 week before these problems) is a new washing machine has been installed (straight swap on the cold water supply) and i nipped up the nut on a weeping stopcock.

It started last week when i couldn't get any hot water to the bath / shower mixer tap, the water delivery and pressure were fine it just didnt fire the boiler. Every other hot water tap in the house, bathroom basin (mixer) & Kitchen (mixer) was fine, including the bath tap until i pulled up the lever on the bath tap to switch to the shower function.

I have home care through my insurance and a plumber came out the next day, he looked and listened to the symptoms and quickly diagnosed a faulty shower head / hose or the tap itself. I have since replaced all at a cost of £100 and the problem remains, as such!

I can now get hot water to the shower but as soon as introduce the cold water my boiler cuts out. This has now transferred and is happening on all taps in the house. I can have hot water and the boiler fires and burns but as soon as i turn on a cold water tap in any room the boiler shuts down and stops burning.

I am of course going to get the company to come back out as there original diagnosis appears to be wrong, but wondered if there was any advice from here. I hope this makes sense but please let me know if i need to provide further information.

Mark.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

First off, try closing the main stopcock some. Watch your kitchen tap(on full) and close the stopcock to a suitable pressure.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. Mark logan

Mark logan New Member

Ive tried the stopcock on and off and the pressure is as before and coming out fine (both stopcocks fully open) Still cant have hot water and cold at the same time at any tap in the house.

Any more ideas/input?

4. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

This new bath mixer could be of a type that needs non return valves fitting to the pipes below.
    Cold water seems to be taking priority over the hot for some reason.

Could also be something to do with the boiler.
    When the hot tap is turned on less than full on do you get any hot water through?

Bit of an odd one this.
    The above are the only examples that I can think of that I've ever come across regarding this particular problem.

Tappy,

5. Mark logan

Mark logan New Member

The new tap was fitted 'like for like' for the one that had been fitted for 2 years and is suitable for low & high pressure systems. We have noticed since this problem the you do have to turn the tap on full (and get water everywhere) for the boiler to kick in and burn.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  6. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

Isolate the cold water feed to your boiler, then turn on the hot side of the shower. If you get water through, then you are backfeeding the DHW from the cold supply. This reduces the flow through the flow switch and holds the boiler off. Fit a non return valve to the hot supply on the shower mixer.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

What I meant was turn the cold pressure down and try the hot then. The cold pressure may be slowing the hot down.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Sounds like the boiler is at fault then (not modulating down)and most likely to be a faulty flow sensor which is only picking up a fast flow through it.
    I've come across this problem once before on a Baxi Platinum.

Let us know how you get on.

Tappy,

9. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

It could be your stopcock is now opened more than it was previously, if the flow rate is low enough out of a tap with a high supply, it can back up enough to stop a sensitive flow sensor.
    you could have a back feed through a cheap non thermostatic bath mixer.
    Is your isolation valve on boiler fully open.
    You may have a scaled boiler.