Hot water heating?? Help

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by no expert, Jul 20, 2014.

1. no expert

no expert New Member

Hi, I have recently had my rubbish economy 7 wet radiator heating system removed (as it was ancient and ineffective). I have replaced it with haverland gel electric radiators that are superb and I no longer need econ7. Now I have a dilemma. How do I heat my hot water?

The current system was a huge 240litre immersion cylinder (heated overnight on e7). I can't afford to keep heating this huge monstrosity on normal rate electric, neither do I need that much water. I have an electric shower, hardly use the bath and have a cold fill washing machine so only need hot water for hand washing and washing up.

I live in a remote village that does not have gas. Could someone please help or advise the best system for this?

Thanks

2. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Install a small under sink water heater and turn the immersion off unless you need it.Screwfix do some good water heaters have a peep.;)

3. no expert

no expert New Member

Thanks plumber boy I did think of that but I was hoping to get rid of the huge immersion all together if possible. I would also need two water heaters one for bathroom and one for kitchen.

4. plumberboy

Can you not link basin to sink hot?
    If not just get a smaller cylinder you can get them made in all sorts of sizes.

5. no expert

no expert New Member

Thank you, I will look into it. I like the idea of a smaller cylinder. That way I can still have running hot water, but it won't cost me a fortune to heat the thing. The smallest size I have seen is about 40 litres. Do you think this will be adequate?! Only two of us in the house, and like I say everything else is independent.

6. plumberboy

Remember if your shower fails you may need the bath,so for two people I would recommend a cylinder with a capacity of 120L with a boost immersion in the top and E7 immersion in the bottom.
    This way you can boost when you like without heating the whole cylinder.Hope this helps.;)

7. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Ever thought about a multipoint run on LPG