Hot Water Pipe Outside (in the ground)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by BJV, Aug 26, 2016.

1. BJV

BJV New Member

Hi All

My question relates to putting a hot water pipe outside the house. The reason why i want to do this is bcus i have suffered from a few leaks in my house. On the ground floor my pipe are in the concrete floor and i have a tiled floor. (Not my choice. Was like this when we purchased the house)

I had a leak in the kitchen with resulted in the insurance company replacing all the tiles on the ground floor. I want to try and prevent this from happening again.

I am looking to get a new water mains installed in the ground outside the house which will go directly into my utility room. Currently the mains runs under the house and the into the utility room. My combi boiler (Worcester 29cdi) is located in the utility room.

I have three taps down stairs and a WC.

Running the cold water feed outside the property shouldn’t be an issue.

Running new pipes to two taps and the WC is do able as one taps is in the utility room and the WC is next to the utility room (stud wall separates them)

The potential issue I have is getting hot water to the kitchen tap. My idea was to run a hot water feed from the boiler outside in the ground, around the house and bring it up in the kitchen. The run is probably 15m max.

Firstly, can this be done?? If so, im guessing insulating the pipe would be a good idea. Which insulation to use. Will I be wasting lots of water when waiting for hot water to come through.

I cant run in through the house as I have 2 doors and a wall in the way.

Has anyone done this before??

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bad idea I say, can't you run pipe under floor on 1st floor.

As to new water main, some water utilities will fit a 32mm pipe instead of usual 25mm pipe for domestic use,(32mm external/25mm internal size) well worth it for the extra pressure.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Very unorthadox!!!!. Longer pipe runs, water pipes need to be buried at 30" below for frost protection.
    As above run them in first floor the way the rest of us do it.