Hot water upstairs not always hot

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mandy84, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Mandy84

Mandy84 New Member

Hello, the hot water upstairs is very temperamental, the flow runs OK but some times its freezing other times it works fine & is hot. Heating all works OK.

We have a combi boiler down stairs, (logic 24) just recently serviced, we have been replacing our bathroom suite all new taps. Pluming was done by a plumber.

Any ideas why ?
    Thank in advance

2. No idea.

But, the flow upstairs will be delivered at a lower pressure than that downstairs, even tho' it's a combi driven by mains pressure. So I suspect it's that the new taps are slightly more restrictive in flow (are they ceramic quarter-turn?) and that the mains pressure feeding your boiler was borderline in the first place.

So, the flow coming oot your upstairs taps are now so low that the boiler is struggling to be tripped into coming on.

Is the flow from these new taps noticeable less than before?

Do you haver a pressure-reducing valve fitted on the mains coming in to your house? If so, perhaps that can be tweaked upwards. Has the inlet filter (if it has one) on your boiler been cleaned as part of the service?

But, really, it could be a multitude of causes - other things like a weak flow switch in the boiler which is operating 'borderline' - and it only shows itself because the flow upstairs is less than that downstairs.

You really need to get your plumber back. Was it the same guy who fitted the taps as did the boiler service? Hopefully yes - that way they won't try and blame the other guy!

3. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Dev I know you can do better than that mate!!

Mandy when you say temperamental? This tells me you have interfering mechanical factors at play,

I'm guessing the symptoms have coincided with the introduction of a plumber fitting taps?

If so, did you supply the taps or him?

Does that include a bath shower mixer of non thermostatic type? Mono block basin mixer?

What your experiencing is a reverse flow or feed from an integrally blended fitment/tap or a shower head that can't deliver what's it's being fed,

Both of which will cause the hall sensor, paddle or flow switch to resume its non demand status, so it senses no flow which will disable the switch to divertor through the flat plate heat exchanger thus giving you cold water, as others in the house run taps etc it messes with the boiler,

Or just your flat plate is blocked up

Either way

Get a real plumber, by recommendation of someone that actually is of some mechanical understanding not aunt Dorris with a Blocked u Bend

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  4. Nice - but I didn't understand 'alf of it... :oops:

:)

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What's hot water downstair like, same symptoms, if so then a scaled up HW heat exchanger in combi more than likely, how old is boiler.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017