house water pressure or flow rate

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by jack10101, Oct 17, 2014.

1. jack10101

jack10101 Member

hi, we have some properties with all new plumbing with prv's fitted. the prv's read 3 bar and are on maximum (they wont go higher) we dont have great water pressure in the upstairs showers. its not terrible - but people want a bit more so im thinking based on their previous experiences our pressures/flow rate is a bit low. it is my thinking that 3 bar is a decent pressure - any thoughts? might it be because it is upstairs? i cant think it through clearly - is there something else other than pressure which would affect the flow rate upstairs specifically?

thanks

2. meady

meady Member

That's your standing pressure, open up a tap and see what the pressure is while the tap is running. Also find out what the flow rate is from one of your taps.

3. jack10101

jack10101 Member

gimme 2 minutes

4. jack10101

jack10101 Member

about 9 seconds for 2 liters so roughly 13 liters per minute in the kitchen sink

that was testing in my house, which is at 4 bar standing and then 3 bar when kitchen tap is running. the other properties are at 3 bar standing - shouldnt they be the same? all off the same supply.

5. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

What showers do you have? ELECTRIC or THERMOSTATIC.
    What system do you have DIRECT or INDIRECT? I'm guessing direct.

6. jack10101

jack10101 Member

showers are all direct from the combi boiler. showers have a thermostatic bar.
    cold water feeds the combi boiler straight from the mains. heating in underfloor, combi feeds the mainfold

7. plumberboy

What type of shower heads are they?
    How many showers/bathrooms per house?

8. jack10101

jack10101 Member

shower heads are the adjustable type on a flexible hose. bathrooms per house isnt relevant for this problem.

9. plumberboy

The amount of bathrooms are relevant when your running combi boiler system,that's why I asked the question they can only cope with small demand.
    The size of shower heads also has a big impact on performance, the bigger the head the more flow you need.

10. jack10101

jack10101 Member

yes, im aware of that but it isnt relevant here because were talking about a single person living in the house and when im checking it out im only using one tap/shower/bath at a time

11. plumberboy

That's why I asked the question, how the hell am I supposed to know how many people and bathrooms when you've only just told me,your first post refers to people and bathrooms?? I was just trying to help you.

12. jack10101

jack10101 Member

all im asking is 3 bar good/average/poor?
    is 13 liters per minute good/average/poor at the cold tap in the kitchen?

obviously if 3 people are having showers/baths/washing dishes there is going to be a drop in performance

13. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Both average.
    Check the flow rate at the shower head. Make sure the temperature is correct. Usually about 38degC.