How can I cut/break Karndean floor tiles?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by wingit, Jan 9, 2014.

1. wingit

wingit Member

Just put this post on other trades forum and realised my mistake.

I want to cut some strips about 3 inches wide from a spare Karndean tile to fit under a range cooker that has been left on concrete and tiles laid up to the support legs but not underneath. The floor concrete is fairly rough and it's a real pain to get the cooker out.
    So, if I score the spare tile with a Stanley knife and break over the edge of a piece of wood will that give a reasonably clean edge? As I don't have any floor adhesive I was going to use contact PVA to stick the strips on the floor under the cooker where the legs will then run smoothly. Strips won't be seen except for a few mm poking out from the cooker plinth. Any comments?
    I ask rather than diving in and giving it a go because I've only got one spare tile and therefore can't afford repeated mistakes.

2. Probably too late, but are you talkin' Karndean vinyl floor tiles? If yes, then score with a Stanley on the top, decorative, surface, and it'll snap like a snappy thing being snapped. Clean as a clean thing being cleaned.

Or having been cleaned to be more accurate.