How Can I Get This Door To Open?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by wingit, Mar 22, 2014.

1. wingit

wingit Member

I have a normal door at the back of a garage. It's made of stained pine planks with a normal door handle like you'd find on any door with a key lock. Don't use this much and when I tried to open it the other day it was not possible. The door moves maybe 3 or 4 mm and then is stuck fast. I've tried hitting it with a club hammer (with the handle held open!) over a piece of timber but no good. The top and bottom of the door flex but not the middle where the handle/lock is. The lock is definitely open; I know this because we have never had the key since moving into the house. I can only assume that the latch is in the closed position and the handle mechanism is buggered. What do I do? Hit with a sledge hammer, ruin the door and pull the frame off the bricks or is there a more subtle option?

Help please!

2. Obvious stuff to begin with - unscrew the door handles and see what you have. (It might just be a faulty door handle)

Check that you can fully turn the square hole mechanism in the lock using just the door handle spindle and a spanner.As you do this, pull the door firmly closed, so's you take any pressure off the door latch.)

If you find that you are turning this bit a full amount (around - ooh - 80o?) and the door latch is still not being pulled back in, then you may have to take an angle-grinder to the door hinges. If this case, just grind off the tip of the hinge pin at the bottom of each hinge - hopefully you can 'punch' the pin up and out using a nail or summat.)

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I'm assuming you can get to both sides of the door, if so go to the side the door shuts against, ie: if door opens outward from the garage go inside the garage, or visa versa, with a thin solid metal blade, a cutlery knife is good if all metal, at the point of the lock hammer the knife in behind the door stop onto the plunger of the lock because the plunger is curved the knife will push it back into the lock and the door will pop open.

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

an old fashion butter knife is good for this - proper steel that will snap before it bends

[​IMG]

5. Phil the Paver

That will work if you can get it to move easily, my experience is they don't tend to if the lock is damaged, so you have to get a bit brutal with a hammer, hence the solid metal knife.

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

subtle first - then fetch the big hammer

Phil the Paver likes this.
  7. Phil the Paver

No no no, just get stuck in, instead of ***** footing about. :p

8. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I suspect the OP might like to be able to make use of the door and frame again :rolleyes:

9. Phil the Paver

It doesn't do any damage, I have had to do this twice now on my toilet door due to crappy locks, they have been changed now to good ones.

10. Phil the Paver

11. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

12. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Best thing to use instead of cutlery, in order to to save the wife chasing after you waving a damaged family heirloom:eek: is a wallpaper scraper wiggled or tapped it in with a hammer to release the tongue.

Or if all the detective films are to be believed a credit card, but don't try it it unless the lock is very loose you will just wreck the card:):)

13. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Use an old saw. One of the uses you can put a blunt saw to. Personally I've used and keep an old floorboard saw in the workshop.

14. What are the chances of him having a separate, nailed-on, door stop?

But, nice idea, and fingers crossed he does.

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If you have access, a better way is to be on 'pushed to close' side(you won't have any door stops to get through or behind) and use some blade that is hooked, and pull to get the catch to move in.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. Ooh. that could work. If all you have is a straight blade, you could brace a pivot point across the door and frame gap, and lever the blade (eg a large hacksaw blade) against it.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Angle grinder!

18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Works every time!

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Preferably a 9"er

20. Tsk, how can you do such precision work with a nine-incher? You're not talking about grinding the whole door down, are you? Oh, you are...

Mr Ha's idea wins the prize for me - an old hacksaw blade or summat, use an angle-grinder to eat in to one side near the end to leave a 'hook'. Work from the 'door opens this way oot' side, job's your bobby.

Push door in gently to release any pressure on the door latch. Turn the latch as far as it goes using the spindle too.

If all that doesn't do it, then I'm orf and not coming back.