How can I paint matt over silk paint?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by ChatChat, Dec 5, 2008.

1. ChatChat

ChatChat New Member

I have recently moved into a house where every wall has been painted with silk paint. We have tried to paint over it with matt and have ended up with a crackle glaze affect. I have heard that to prevent this we need to sand all the sheen off the walls! Does anyone have an easier solution? Is there anything we can paint onto the walls first to prevent this?

2. jcts

jcts Active Member

yes their is. you could paint the walls in soft sheen, which is in between matt and silk but personally i hate it. for a perfect matt finish, give the walls a light sand, mist coat (watered down emulsion 50/50) with white paint and then 2-3 coats of your chosen colour on top. any other prep such as filling will need to be done needless to say

3. mardyoldgit

mardyoldgit New Member

You should be able to use Matt over silk after doing your usual prep, filling sanding-down etc. A good quality matt paint shouldn't give the effect you've mentioned unless for example the walls have been papered previously and paste residue is still on the walls. Try using sugar soap on them. Making sure you rinse it all off with clean water afterwards.

4. jcts

jcts Active Member

matt paint will not cover silk and will cause all sorts of problems without the correct prep. follow my advice and it will be sorted

5. polly222

polly222 Member

chatchat
    can you tell me the crackle glaze affect is it pealing off or is it loose if you let me know i will try to help.
    cheers mate poly

6. T-C

T-C New Member

paint the affected areas with thinned soft sheen , problem sorted.T-C

7. ChatChat

ChatChat New Member

Its not peeling or loose but just looks like a crackle glaze effect.

8. potty painter

potty painter New Member

If the crackle effect wasn't visible before you applied the matt finish. There's a strong possibility that the wall was contaminated with grease or something, if I were you I would sandpaper the affected areas and spot prime with a oil based white undercoat that should stop any further problems.

9. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Sorry chatchat, forgot to mention use a sanding block to save sore fingers. And to avoid the problem in another room wash down with sugar soap but always work from skirting up. Good luck to you!