how did they do that? I need to replace bath taps!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Baggy62, May 27, 2015.

1. Baggy62

Baggy62 New Member

Hello I am a noobie on this forum and it seems the you guys know your stuff, so here goes, I need to change
    the taps on our bath, normally not an issue but they are mounted on the bath on the opposite side to the panel lengthwise, they are mounted on the bath not the wall, I took the panel off tonight expecting to find flexible connections but no, solid copper with not even an isolator, so I know I have to take the bath out to replace them but how the **** do I disconnect the taps given that I can barely get my arm in there, thanks for reading and any help would be really appreciated,
    cheers
    Baggy

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Are there any joints in the pipework lower down, maybe the taps and a short length of pipe was fitted before the bath was put in place, then the rest of the pipework connected after, doesn't help you though, sorry. :(

4. Baggy62

Baggy62 New Member

st: 1347940, 6916"]Are there any joints in the pipework lower down, maybe the taps and a short length of pipe was fitted before the bath was put in place, then the rest of the pipework connected after, doesn't help you though, sorry. :([/QUOTE]
    It's all soldered that's why I can't work out how the hell they put it in, next to nothing accesible!

5. Ha! A hobby horse of mine. Anyway, you need to cut the copper somewhere accessible (having isolated h&c and drained down obvs) and fit two isolation valves. Take the bath out (good luck with the tiles), change the taps and then use either long flexis (not a fan) or Hep/Speedfit in a nice big loop. Tis the price you pay for poncy baths I'm afraid!

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think its more to do with the customers choice of location of baths. most baths are supplied not drilled. A bath i fitted a few years had a choice of 3 tap locations (one being the side).

7. Baggy62

Baggy62 New Member

Hi, yes that's the only way I can see to do it, a pain in the **** but I have no choice, cheers for the replies, Baggy

8. dynomite

dynomite Member

Have had a few times where had to cut access in the wall ie taps are on back wall which backs onto a bedroom or cupboard if your lucky, needs to be a plasterboard wall of course.