How do I dismantle an Aga?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Cornish Crofter, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter New Member

I may have the need to remove an Aga from a house and bring it to my property.

What is the best way to dismantle it, and are there any free online guides to do this?

Thanks

CC
  2. heatyman

heatyman Member

You will find no instructions anywhere regarding service or assembly/dismantling Agas. They keep everything close to their distribution network.
    Having said that, they are not that complex, just heavy, awkward and usually have seized nuts/screws/rods.
    For re-assembly, you will do best purchasing what is called a tray set, which gives you all the seals,screws, nuts washers etc.
    If you need bits, try www.abgo.co.uk.they stock genuine Aga parts at realistic prices and do mail order.
    Alternatively, get a quote from a local reconditioning firm for the job.
    Martin
  3. Cornish Crofter

Thanks for that.

I also asked the same question in the builders forum and the view is that dismantling them is feasable but the larger bits will need several guys to lift them.

As I said over there, there is a chance I'll be offered it and would like to be as prepared as possible. I have a 4 wheel drive and a 2tonne payload trailer, so transport is not a problem. It's just the hands on bit.
  4. lh

lh New Member

I may be able to help you on the dissassembly instruction front. I was going to dismantle my AGA, however when I sold it on Ebay the guy that bought it was happy enough to do it himself, I just made him coffee. The component parts are not that heavy, I helped the guy with a couple of parts, however you could manage on your own without too much difficulty. If you drop me an email to hugh.evans@latentheat.co.uk I will send you what information I have.
  5. I would have thought that most people would prefer to man handle it in one piece.

Tony
  6. heatyman

heatyman Member

Tony,
    Your vast experience has obviously not broght you into contact with too many AGA's.
    Whilst several pairs of hands may put one on skates or similar, the sheer weight would put too much stress on the connecting bolts and rods. Just handling front plates, fire barrels and hobs on their own is more than enough.
    Martin
  7. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

A sludge hammer..........AGA's are one of the biggest over rated appliances ever made.
    Some idiots pay thousands for these things just to make scones, stews or a roast.
    Just another Agasaga in little England.
  8. heatyman

heatyman Member

I realise the Scottish diet is limited, whatever you cook (or reheat) it on.
    They are expensive, and they are not particularly fuel efficient, but they are so versatile in the right situation, and,oh yes, style over substance still pays the same servicing costs.
    Martin
  9. devils advocate

devils advocate New Member

Following on from what Tony said above, does it have to be dismantled to get it through doorways, etc? If not, seriously consider moving it as one unit - removing doors, hotpalte, etc, of course.

Most Agas aren't any bigger than the Rayburn Supremes (just a re-badge job) of 20 years ago. We delivered dozens of these, always assembled. If you get a couple of straps underneath it (H/D seat belt type stuff), then 4 peeps can easily lift it clear of the floor and shuffle it forward. Use sturdy planks (beams) to edge it up onto your trailer.

Don't let the front touch anything - the enamel ain't what it used to be.

You shouldn't have a problem with it falling apart - they are very solid.
  10. Cornish Crofter

Removing it whole would be preferable. The main problem is the steps below the front door. Up until then its a level run along floors that are to be re laid IIRC.

You may remember my bathroom suite that I got, it's the same house. The owner was wanting some £1800 for the Aga but never got around to either following up an offer or selling it. Now the kitchen floor has to be up soon so it has to go.

I told my friend who's project managing this refit that I would remove it for him but could not afford to pay him anything for it - as it's only worth so much to us, but maybe worth more to the next guy.

To be fair the client seems a really nice chap, so I suspect he was lead to believe that it was worth that kind of money. After trawling e bay I'm not so sure it is. He's not going to let a few hundred quid get in the way of his £150,000 refit.

CC
  11. Cornish Crofter

I forgot my manners!

Thanks for all you helpful comments guys.

CC
  12. Cornish Crofter

Thanks lh I have sent you an e mail

CC
  13. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

'the Scottish diet is limited' Martin you must be joking!!! Some of the finest fare in the world. Don't believe the media hype, like many Scots my diet is exceptional. Of course there are some Scots who live on deep fried mars bars and chips, but we have a very good health education policy and that will change.

As for AGA's, 'a fool and his money' springs to mind. But I take on board your comment about the servicing work.
  14. Cransewater

Cransewater New Member

Not sure about aga, but for rayburns procedure is move it whole.

Try to get the trailer as close as possible and go from top of steps to trailer using scaffolding planks with some blocks underneath at mid span.

Lift one end of the unit with a broard lever such as the foot operated things for lifting doors. Then slip sections of iron pipe / gas pie / scaffold pole under.

Then using 1 or 2 or 3 pipes roll it forward. As one pops out the back, drop the rear a bit and shove it in the front.

Once its going keep it moving.

hope this helps

Craneswater
  15. devils advocate

CC, steps aren't a major problem. All you need are a couple of 3x2's, for example, and slip them under the front of the Aga when you get to the steps. (Remember, you have a couple of straps under the stove by now!).

The aga will be at the top of the steps, with the two posts sticking straight out over the steps. Edge the stove out until 'pivot' point comes, then carefully allow the stove - and posts - to tilt down until it is at the angle of the steps. The posts should now be touching all the step edges. Carry on sliding!

The posts won't break under the weight because (a) the posts are supported by all the steps, and (b) the weight of the aga is spread over the whole of it's underneath - there are no pressure points.

To get over drives, gravel, grass etc, just place the two posts like tracks and drag the stove using the straps as before - pulling up on them just to remove the friction, and mostly pulling forwards. Obviously, you'll need at least 4 posts to keep things going!

Going uphill (eg onto the trailer) is the hardest bit, but you'll be surprised at how manageable even this is with 4 people. I'd say have 4 peeps at a min; more would be useful for the tricky bits, but will just get in the way for most of it.

(We've delivered Rayburns oversome of the most ridiculous terrain imaginable, some of it without road access - 100's of yards over heather, a stream, rocks... :()
  16. devils advocate

As Cransewater says, scaffolding poles are good for the tracks - nice and slippery - but watch out for them rolling sideways and allowing the stove front to biff door frames, etc - nice pile of enamel on the floor... (When the 'Supreme' came out some 30 years ago, its enamel was very soft and susceptible to chipping - what a nightmare. Rayburn said it was because they had to find a new formula that didn't contain lead; dunno how true this is)
  17. Cornish Crofter

Guys

Many thanks for your help here. I now have Aga in my posession and the full story is over on the builders forum.

Yes - it was free.

Thanks again

CC