How do i make a 25 degree jig

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by lemonade, Jan 9, 2017.

1. lemonade

lemonade Member

Could some tell me how to make a 25 and 30 degree jig out of wood so I can regrind a new bevel on some chisels. I tried to make one like they used in the video at 45 seconds but my angle was way off.

2. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

I'd use a mitre saw, if I didn't have a mitre saw then I'd use a protractor and a hand saw.

3. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

If I didn't have a protractor then a right angled triangle where the hypotenuse (the long side) is twice the length of the shortest side has an angle of 30 degrees.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

vivaro man and Joe95 like this.
  5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Yes, well worth it. The jigs make the full use of the stone, doing it freehand never gets enough even pressure to sharpen the tool fully.
    Very happy with mine:).

vivaro man likes this.
  6. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

how did you make it. and how much out is it?

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That's on my wish list :D

Joe95 likes this.
  8. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

You can't go wrong, it's so much better than the bench grinder. I think it's really good value too:).

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

images.jpg

A jig for you :p

KIAB likes this.
  10. lemonade

lemonade Member

I used a protractor but instead of having about 10mm touching the wheel like in the video I had about 30mm touching the wheel.

11. lemonade

lemonade Member

For the amount of times I use a grinder it wouldn't be worth me buying a scheppach tiger. I do have a workzone wet and dry grinder but that don't have any guides so it makes it hard to use.

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Was going to order the tiger system today but unfortunately haven't got any room to site it.

I bough a Japanese waterstone set from axminister last year and have been using these, but they need maintaining otherwise you will create a hollow in the stone. Just ordered a coarse diamond stone DMT to flatten them, at £60 was more than half the price of the tiger :confused:.

Maybe if I ever get a workshop I will look at investing in it. Only have 2 planes and 4 chisels.

14. K Kahlon

K Kahlon New Member

Honing Guide from screwfix?

longboat likes this.
  15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just received the diamond whetstone, very aggressive for taking off nicks from tools its the 8x3" one.

Can use it to flatten the waterstones as well.

already have a honing guide. If starting out new then would have went for the tiger system as works out much cheaper.

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Managed to flatten both the stones I got with the diamond one, very quick to do and checked with an engineers straight edge. DMT stone is virtually 99% flat.

One day I would like to be able to sharpen chisel free hand, jig is good but cannot use full area of stone unless turning around occasionally.

KIAB likes this.
  17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Even after 35 years, I still can't sharpen a chisel free hand,can't keep the angle correct.:(
    Use to use a jig, but now I have a Tiger wet sharpener, it's a doddle to get a razor sharp edge on a chisel, plane iron,etc.:)

Joe95 likes this.
  18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just checked the back edge of chisel using straight edge and is not flat either, always thought its was flat, there's almost a bow it, think this could have happened through early days :oops: as always used poor stones to flatten the back edge of chisel.

keep stones in my room, so If I ever get bored can just sharpen things up after soaking.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Possible, but even now, if I sharpen freehand I tend to tilt/twist the chisel sideways, & end up with a hollow on the back,something you can't do that on a Tiger.

And when I use a stone on a bench, I alway turn the stone around each time it's used & sharpen from opposite ends,a old joiner use to say it evens out the wear on the stone.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  20. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Never managed it either, even when I used to do it on blocks. Years ago when local tool shops were around I used to pay to have my chisels and planer irons sharpened.
    35 years ago I didn't even know what a chisel was!:p:p