How do I measure replacement radiators?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by sidewinder, Nov 9, 2003.

1. sidewinder

sidewinder New Member

I have bought a property that has the heating system pipes running under the floor but no radiators or valaves attatched to the pipes. Can anyone please tell me how do I measure up for new radiators?

The old system is 6 years old and I am not sure from what point do I measure for the new radiators.

Thank you in advance

2. moffyman

moffyman New Member

you need to work out the "heatloss" for the rooms before you decide on radiator size.. I got a program download from www.myson.co.uk called heatloss manager 98 which seems daunting at first but isn't at all. Unfortunately this had been withdrawn forupgrading last time I looked. Try a search for "heatloss calculator" I've seen others around, try www.stelrad.com I think they do one also.
    If you are just going to guess rad size buy and fit it with valves to wall first and join pipes to suit.

3. sidewinder

sidewinder New Member

Thanks for the information regarding the program and I will search for this on the web. My big problem is working out the measurement of the radiators needed to fit the existing pipework.

Do I take a measurement from the center of the existing pipework and is it possible to work out the measurement to buy new radiators. Will I need to place the new valves on the pipework and measure between the valves to work out the required size or is there a easier way?

4. moffyman

moffyman New Member

I'm no expert but hope I can help...
    Do you mean that the pipes have been left in situ sticking out of the floor boards but no valves or radiators attached? What size pipes are they?
    If you have pipes sticking out of floor yes you need to attach valves first and measure between them. You will have to allow for the radiator valve tails which attach to rads before fitting. You will probably find that you need a standard radiator size (see sizes at myson or stelrad websites) If not you should either move one pipe or if the adjustment needed is small you may find extendable rad valve tails give enough play.

5. brian

brian New Member

take the room sizes i.e lenght by lenght and height sixes take these to your rads surplier and he will tell you the size rads you want.
    bear in mind that if you already have the pipes showing then messure what the centres are and take these with you and write down what rooms they are to.
    then put the valves on the end of the rads and fit the pipe sto suit. easy,
    bthomemain@aol.com
    cheers bry

6. Earthman

Earthman New Member