How do I paint MDF?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Sid, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Sid

Sid New Member

Please advise me on painting MDF. Do I use a special primer? What types of paint can I use? What kind of finishes are available?

2. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

No special paint needed. Use acrylic primer/undercoat followed by whatever top coat you fancy (use emulsion is you wish). If you are painting it white you will need at least 2 undercoats to get a good white finish. For emulsion, just a couple of coats straight on

3. jcts

jcts Active Member

before you do anything give the wood a nice rub down. their are a few special MDF primers out there but you can just use a normal everyday one. once the primer is on, the MDF will fluff up really bad and will need a lot of rubbing down. once smooth, give an undercoat if you are going to gloss for your topcoat. if your using satinwood just put 2 coats of that without the undercoat. be sure to give a rub down in between coats

4. robbiedaywork

robbiedaywork Member

good advice, acrylic primer undercoat will give you a much quicker job, any cutting or sanding of mdf should be done while wearing a dust mask.

5. jcts

jcts Active Member

good point rob, always use a dust mask for MDF

6. Sid

Sid New Member

Many thanks for all the good advice. Do I need to apply a primer as soon as I've sanded or cut a piece or can I do that all that at the end once I've built my MDF furniture?

7. jcts

jcts Active Member

i would prime when you have built it all but it doesn't really matter

8. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

prime with zinsser bin and you can sand down in 45min then coat with eggshell(oilbased) add some driers to speed it up sand again then last coat of eggshell. Gloss looks naff on furnature unless sprayed to a high quality finish.

9. jcts

jcts Active Member

you don't want to prime with zinsser, why too expensive. a cheap water based primer will do the same thing (cost about 6 quid for 2.5lt)

10. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

You don't need to sand the smooth surfaces of the sheets, just the edges, including those you have cut. I usually cut the MDF to size, put a couple of primer/undercoat coats on (which as jcts says, brings up the grain) without sanding anything. Then I sand (edges only) and, if necessary p/uc the edges again. If needed, I sand everything with 180 grade just to get rid of any brush marks etc. then top coat. For the insides of fixed furniture (but not the insides of doors)like built in wardrobes I just use a couple of coats of vinyl emulsion

I've made loads of built in wardrobes, cupboards etc and had no probs with the above methods

if I knew how to put photo's on here I could show you some I have just built for my own place and my daughters

No need for

11. jcts

jcts Active Member

i used to paint a lot of MDF wardrobes too. would give a rub down first and then dust off. 1 coat of primer, then a big rub down. like you say bertie, the edges will most likely need doing again. then 2 topcoats (satin) for a flawless finish. for the insides i used to give 2 coats of clear varnish. no rub down for the insides just a really good dust down and hover

12. kamil bierzynski

kamil bierzynski New Member

if anyone looking for MDF covered by pvc foil 3dmodular makes it.

13. Claire Jackson

Claire Jackson New Member

Thanks for all this advice it's very useful. I'd like further advice on what to apply the paint with to ensure a smooth finish with no brush marks. Ta

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Mini roller.

15. Thanks, so helpful.

Free too if you beat quotes then? I dont charge myself for cutting.

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Post number 15 is a result of a spam engine - the thread has over 105,000 views. We should start ringing up these companies and asking for complex quotes to waste their time as punishment :D

Joe95 and Deleted member 164349 like this.
  17. ClaireW87

ClaireW87 New Member

Help... I had some wardrobes fitted in so have mdf at the sides and top that I want to paint to match the wall colour of the bedroom. I used Dial undercoat/primer on the mdf (thought it was ok until I googled and saw there's specifically mdf primers) I have already done 2 coats and sanded after it dried to due to flare up fibres. I was going to use the matt emulsion I used for the walls but now I'm thinking do I need to go over the white undercoat with a specific mdf primer? Have I ruined it before I've finished! ‍♀️ Any advice appreciated.

Attached Files: