How do I prepare a old/new plane iron

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by NOBBLY BOBBLY, Jul 12, 2017.

1. NOBBLY BOBBLY

NOBBLY BOBBLY Member

I was given a stanley hand plane so I've watched loads of youtube videos on how to get the plane ready for use but when I tried lapping the back and sharpening the blade I couldn't get a sharp edge so I've bought a new plane iron to try again. When I lap the back what grit sandpaper should I start with as I've seen some use as low as 80 grit but other people have said they wouldn't go any lower than 400 grit. The problem I see is when you watch the youtube videos they only use a plane iron or chisel that they wouldn't use in a shop so it doesn't matter if they used 80 grit sandpaper.

2. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

You cannot do better than Paul sellers for this kind of thing;

This one is just over an hour long and covers restoring a plane from start to finish.

Regards,

Cando

3. candoabitofmoststuff

And for what it's worth dealing with the blade/iron starts just over half an hour in.
    You could also watch his chisel sharpening video which gives a good demo of papers used to deal with the backs.

Regards,
    Cando

4. NOBBLY BOBBLY

NOBBLY BOBBLY Member

I've already watched the video you posted and also his chisel sharpening video :). When he lapped the back of the chisel and did the bevel he said that still doesn't feel sharp to me then he went and used his diamond stones. I used the same grit wet and dry as paul sellers and I couldn't get a sharp plane iron. I've read on forums where people have only gone to 1200 grit wet and dry and they have had a sharp chisel and plane blades.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

:eek::confused::eek:

6. NOBBLY BOBBLY

NOBBLY BOBBLY Member

Are Stanley planes that bad or that I bought a new plane iron.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

80 grit

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

LOL, No wonder its not sharp, there's bugger all left. :p:p:p

9. NOBBLY BOBBLY

NOBBLY BOBBLY Member

Chris tribe used 80 grit to lap a new chisel. I used 80 grit on a old chisel and it put a deep scratch on the chisel due to the grit not all the same size.

10. NOBBLY BOBBLY

NOBBLY BOBBLY Member

What grit should I start at. I think I started at 180 grit.

11. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Plane blades get ground at 25 degrees then sharpened at 30 degrees (usually) I always use a diamond sharpener to sharpen my plane and chisel blades. Don't forget to back them off. Plane blades can be sharpened many times before they need reground though. ;);)

12. NOBBLY BOBBLY

NOBBLY BOBBLY Member

When I was given the plane it wouldn't cut butter and it looks like it's only been sharpened to 25 degrees. I don't know when the bevel would need to be reground to 25 degrees so maybe I should of done this first as I don't know how many times the blade was sharpened. What diamond sharpener do you use because I got a 3 eze lap diamond stones but I find the super fine (1200 grit) is to course and leaves lines in the bevel.

13. candoabitofmoststuff

That should not be happening! If the stones are brand new they can take a little time to "bed in", but even new the 1200 shouldn't be leaving lines!

Regards

Cando