How do you make a gate like this??

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Andy1234, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Andy1234

Andy1234 Member

Thanks guys,
    I think i'm trying to work out timber lengths for design in my question, although top thoughts, much appreciated, especially Sospan. It all depends on width x height of course. I'm doing a bit of tiling at the moment but this is my next job on my wife's list. Saw some Thermowood in my local timber supplies, seems much lighter...the way to go??
    Cheers.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could get a local metal fabricator to make you a frame, the you fit the timber to it.

Andy1234 likes this.
  3. Andy1234

Andy1234 Member

Yes, thanks, will do. I'll check local metal fabs, if it's worth doing.........

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It will give you a much stronger framework,should be able to reduce double thick pillar, as well.

Andy1234 likes this.
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You need to work out the area of the gates in square meters. The find the timber you want and its width. So a 150mm plank will need 6.6 linear metres to get a square meter. With putting it on the diagonal you are going to have a lot of waste even if you are really careful in your cutting and planning.

Remember as well this thing is going to be like a sail when you open it in a high wind, so castors, strong hinges and gate pins that go into the ground to hold it still.

KIAB likes this.
  6. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    this type is a great design, even a double set have good performance in high winds!

Regards
    Peter