How far is too far to travel to work?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by I Like Timber, Sep 5, 2014.

1. I Like Timber

I Like Timber New Member

Hey :) so I've been working through an agency for the past 3 months and word tends to be pretty far. 20/30/40 miles. My current job I i will be taking, will be 40 miles away and well over an hours journey... Travel expenses are paid from the payroll company. So I was wondering.. How far is too far for you fellas to travel to work to? Thanks
    Ameer

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You look single so it depends on you.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

That's rich!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

But you're skint x

5. I Like Timber

I Like Timber New Member

I look single? Haha. Ha. Ha. No. I'm fully booked.
    But seriously. Answer my question. :| was expecting a little more maturity from you elders.

6. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

wherever the work is, or should I say wherever the work that I want to do is, just finished a job in Canterbury 2 hours each way, 1000 miles a week, before that romford 1 half hours away, chelmesford before that, 2 hours in the morning, anything up to 4 hours in the evening, not ideal traveling times, but work is work, even local jobs 10/20 miles can take over an hour there and back depending on the time your traveling

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

too far is what you're not happy doing, an hour there means an hour back, that's 2 hours a day unpaid time or 10 hours a week. in winter it might be longer and there could be days you can't get there for road problems, take into account car/van wear and tear and the higher chance of speeding fines, you say you're working through an agency, they don't actually pay expences, they let you fill a form in saying the miles and you give them your fuel tickets BUT they only pay a pecentage, they are claiming tax releif using YOUR reciepts and swindling you, agencies are middle management blood sucking desk jockeys and not to be used only for short mid term job gaps,

8. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

" work is work" NO work is more important than that, its what determines whether you live to work or work to live,Everyone will walk over you if you let them, Its better to stay at home and enjoy the day in the garden than work to fill someone elses pocket, don't be a busy fool, go onwards and upwards, :)

9. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

As long as reasonable travel expenses are paid, then whatever your comfortable with I reckon. I'd look at 40 - 50 miles as being at least an hours travelling time though. Plus as Tomp says, there's the wear and tear on your van. Last company I worked for used to pay 42p per mile travel expenses. I used to travel to Oldham on a Monday and back home on the Friday and get around £75 just in travel allowance. (not bad for around £20 worth of fuel)

10. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Takes me about an hour to do 15miles where I live it's a nightmare now days.:(

11. I Like Timber

I Like Timber New Member

That post was rather enlightening.
    I'm not working to live atm. As I'm living with family and don't have a wife or kids of my own to support yet... Sure, I have friends. But they're busy at school/college/work on weekdays. Kinda gets depressing when I'm not working. The feeling of emptiness. Earning money kinda feels good too.

12. I Like Timber

I Like Timber New Member

hmm. I had a job that was the same distance and took just as long to reach. It does get boring.. The radio plays the same **** every morning.

13. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Its pretty bad everywhere now, I live 3 miles from Wigan town centre and at peak times its quicker walking, there are no by pass roads to get anywhere the other side of town, they keep promicing to build a bypass but there's no money so they say, so if I'm doing any distance I go out at 6.30am and I realy don't like doing that so the price has to be right, :rolleyes:

14. plumberboy

They are talking about a congestion charge where I'm based,Hmm some up there plank says that will sort the problems of traffic.
    Nothing to do with raising money that they can waste on a load of *!!!! JOBS FOR THE BOYS.:mad::mad:

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

So you are single!

16. plumberboy

If he is single he's the sensible one Chippie.:)

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It depends whether you chose the right person to have a relationship with, 20 odd years ago I did, best thing I ever achieved

18. plumberboy

Well done.;)

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The one thing in my life I haven't messed up.

20. plumberboy

Good for you mate,and I mean that.;)