How good is Hammerite paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DIYDave., May 6, 2015.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi all
    I've got a couple of old metal window frames to paint (when it stops raining) and they've both got rust spots coming through the paint. I would imagine they've just been previously painted with several coats of external gloss

Was thinking of using white Hammerite, seems to be a tried and tested brand. Notice that very little prep is required and no undercoat, no priming of existing rust. Seems to good to be true - surely ?

I've got a tin of "anti corrosive" metal primer at home, is there any point in applying this first, and then 2 coats of Hammerite. Any likely benefit or just go with the instructions on the tin (remove any flaking paint/rust then just slap it on)

Thanks for any thoughts guys :)

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well, I use Hammerite smooth to paint some new 50mm square steel clothes posts, I put in for mother 5 years ago.
    At the time they had 2 coats, no primer, straight on to the bare steel,which was cleaned first, it has lasted superbly, coming up to it's 6th year now, still good as the day it was put on, will be giving the posts another coat this year.

If your painting window frames in white, Hammerite do a gloss & sation version of their paint, & they quote it as having a 8 year protection.

One thing that is important is make sure the metal is clean Hammerite make this point very clear on their site.
    1: Remove dirt, dust and grease with diluted detergent. Rinse with clean water and allow time to dry.
    2: On bare zinc, aluminium and galvanised surfaces apply Hammerite Special Metals Primer before applying Hammerite Direct to Rust Metal Paint Satin.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
    Gatt likes this.
  3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

hammerite is great, it does exactly what it says on the tin, or is that dulox, i get mixed up me o_O

4. Does Hammerite still have the requirement that you need to apply the second coat between fairly fixed time intervals - neither too soon (before the first coat has dried) and the too long (after the first coat has cured toooo far)?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hammerite smooth satin & smooth - Touch dry 1-2 hours, recoatable after 4 hours.

When I did the posts here, it must have been 24 hours between coats, paint still there hasn't come off in just over 5 years.

http://www.hammerite.co.uk/index.jsp

Have also just start sandblasting garden furniture here & have been repainting metal bench ends in dark green smooth Hammerite, straight on to bare metal,no primer.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thanks chaps, will go with the smooth gloss and forget any primer / undercoat as doesn't seem to be needed by the above comments

There must be some magic inside those tins for sure, lets hope so eh o_O

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just make sure the metal is clean, degreased before painting.