How large can a hole in the house wall be before I need a lintel?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by diymostthings, Feb 5, 2015.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Having just fitted a new oak veneer door in our kitchen I didn't want to ruin it by re-instating the cat flap.

My only other option is to core a hole through the masonry of our house - 9" solid brick - and fit the cat flap to that.

I think I would need at least a 180 mm (7") dia hole - is that OK on its own or should I think about a lintel support above it?

Thanks for any advice

diymostthings

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The hole is fine. But do catflaps work(available) at 9 inches ? Double flap ? Will a cat use it ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

FatHands likes this.
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The hole wont require a lintel, but will require a big drill!

A 9 inch thick solid wall indicates that it could be a Victorian house.

FatHands likes this.
  4. Bazz 44

Bazz 44 New Member

I have done exactly that because of double glazed patio doors. I cut it 9" square fitted a marine ply box through the wall, cat flap on the outside and architrave inside, works a treat. no lintel needed. you may just need to give moggie some encouragement to start with.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Maybe easier and cheaper to remove the bricks, cut the perps on a half brick using an angle grinder. I suppose the brickwork is flemish or garden wall bond. I.e 3 stretchers then a header face.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  6. diymostthings

Hi HandyAndy - Well she will do anything for a bowl of Tuna. Thanks for the advice on the hole.

diymostthings

7. diymostthings

Its a 1930's house - not sure when cavities came in. thanks for the advice about not needing a lintel.

diymostthings

8. diymostthings

Yes I was going to line it with something - I've got a bit of yellow gas main plastic tube which might work. The hole is too big for standard soil pipe. Out cat will do anything for a bowl of tuna!

9. diymostthings

Yes I'm warming to the idea of cutting out a square - having seen the cost of a large diamond core bit! Don't know the bonding of the bricks but thats a bit academic for me as the hole has got to go in one very restricted place. Thanks for your thoughts.

diymostthings