How Long do Tadpoles Take to Mature?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by palavaman, Jun 6, 2012.

1. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

I need to know this info soon as, plz

2. Why do you need the info asap? What possible reason could there be?

You can't just come on here and demand that kind of info - adding that cheeky little teaser - and expect us to spew the goods.

So, full explanation. Then I'll think about it.

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

my guess is, puloverman has found little 'tadpole like' critters swimming round his water tub on the allotment, These are mosquito's , I found this out last year, or it might be the years before, anyrode they're harmless, soon they'll grow wings and fly orff,

4. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

Come Dancing.....

Lucia x

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

yes, It could be that pullitoverman takes glossy mags to the allotment shed, then washes in the water butt afterwards, yes that would explain it, but it was mosquito's in my water butt, honest,

6. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

How unfortunate it must be to have just the one lavatory..........

Lucia

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Our downstairs lavatory is fine, as long as one remembers to remove the washing-up bowl first!!!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. palavaman

DA, I have prepared a 'frog' pond as there are slugs everywhere eating my veg which I have gone to extremes to produce.
    I made the pond out of a baby bath. I have ordered some oxginated weed and placed in the pond. I have also placed 8 tadpoles in there and they are doing well. I do not know if I need to feed them or if they will survive without me interfering? The missus claims I need do nothing as they eat algae?
    So you see, that's why I need to know how long before the tadpoles become frogs and start feeding on the slugs.
    NO DANCING INVOLVED HERE LUC! It's a genuine request for info!

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I tried that method of slugicide, the cats killed the frogs :(

10. Thanks for the explanation Pala.

I don't know.

11. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Palava, Tadpoles will eat almost anything, as they are omnivorous (eat anything in latin). If there's not enough food in there for them, they will eat each other. So I'd suggest you provide them with plenty of food. Dunno of fish food will keep them alive (without the canniballism), but I'd suggest you do some research fi you want to grow them to froglets. ;)

12. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

Nice one Hands!  That made I chuckle....

Lucia x

13. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

Pavlova, I didn't realise that you were in earnest about this.......

If you want those tadpoles to reach full maturity, then finely chop a few mint leaves and spead them on the surface of the water around sundown.........

It's certainly true that tadpoles will survive in the wild or in an established garden pond without human assistance - but in a newly built pond they benefit from a little help, and they do so love mint leaves......

Time for another fish pic................

Lucia x

14. Wait, wait, wait a minute... how the fuff do you know they like mint leaves, eh? Eh?

15. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

There's not much that I don't know about ornithology Dev's dear........

Lux

16. palavaman

Have to dash to allotment now & spread some mint leaves (I know it's not dark as LUC advised), but am off to Manchester, 9am flight.
    I have done my civil duty & supported the Royal Celebrations, now I have to take the kids to Manchester so they enjoy rest of their school break.
    Have booked a hotel (ok, missus has) for 4 days. Only God knows what we are going to do down there for 4 days. As I type away, she is parking swim suits. She insists that I must park my case on this oocassions

17. MrGrimNasty

MrGrimNasty New Member

"Parking swimsuits", I heard your wife was lipollically challenged, but blimey, hide the doughnuts.

Only about 2% of tadpoles reach froglet stage, and then most of them get predated, so you don't stand much chance!  In a bad year it can be as late as September before they crawl out the  pond. Newts are actually a much better bet as they don't get  wiped out all the time by the nasty diseases frogs get, and they are  much smaller/more secretive and tend to avoid fox/cat etc. My pond heaves  with newts these days but frogs are sadly very rare, as soon as they  start to make a come back the plague returns and wipes them out. 2-3 years before frogs get big enough to spawn themselves.

18. removed 7

removed 7 New Member

The Tudors predated the Stuarts.  I guess that why they appeared so grossly overweight in Holbein's portraits..........

Lucia.

19. palavaman

why would cats want to eat frogs?

are frogs not supposed to have a poisonous thingy in their skin/glands that they secret so anything that gets them in their mouth will hurriedly spit them out?

20. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

thats toads ! :eek: