How many 224s in a Wagobox (lights)?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dr Bodgit, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I've been looking into these, for lights I can only see instructions/guidance and images that show 3x224 connectors in a box like this

[​IMG]

But for lighting, one would often need 4 of these to connect live, neutral, earth and switched live. Will 4 of them fit in a box?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I got 4 221's in.

[​IMG]

Joe95, KIAB and Dr Bodgit like this.
  4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

So what would you use to connect 4 lighting wires together (L/N/E/SL)?

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That's cheating.:)

6. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

These are to daisy-chain lamp like downlights. You probably best using these for switch drops
    upload_2017-1-6_15-12-38.png

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I'm thinking of the replacing the round junction boxes in the loft with these things, and I wired up the lighting circuit in the same way as before i.e. 4 wires come into a single junction box - two power cables (to and from), light and switch.

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Use a choc-box, plenty of room there with cable restraints too.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You could look at using the sure wire junction boxes, they are essentially wago connectors in the pre-wired box just to supply the power to all the circuits. May do this now in my loft.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is a lighting spur junction box, think I should have ordered a multiple light switch junction box.

upload_2017-1-6_15-32-38.png

upload_2017-1-6_15-32-17.png

upload_2017-1-6_15-33-20.png

Attached Files:

11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Thanks Jitender, these look great for lighting

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

May get this also, will know better when I have cleared the floor space to work out the wiring situation.

The one I've shown is just a spur so all N<E<L is connected, but will look at the lighting version one. It was about £17 which seems quit dear for what it is, but a good idea someone was bound to think of it.

13. The surewire junction box is just a new take on an old way of doing things, with maintenance free connectors.
    Fitted loads and loads of these many moons ago.

[​IMG]

14. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I think Jitender got it right with her "cheat", as those 224 connectors are for use where one of the wires is stranded, whereas my junction boxes will be used with all 1.5mm T&E solid core.

15. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

As above JB804 for Ashley/Rock or Hager ... much better than trying to use WagoBox solutions.

16. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

And these (without lids):

[​IMG]

17. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

If i need to use loads of Wago's i terminate them all in a deep patress box with blanking lid (thanks and RIP to Wally for that one)

Joe95 and seneca like this.
  18. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

All depends where they are to be located. If located in position that requires the connections to be MF then the correct wagos have to be used and positioned in the box according to manufacturers instructions.

19. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Ah yes, then they will fit. BUT they will not then comply with the requirements for a maintenance free junction.

Wago state that the WHOLE ASSEMBLY is only classed as MF (complies with the requirements of BS 5733) if you use a Wagobox MF enclosure together with only the 773 and 222 Series connectors.

Any other combination does not comply. And I have heard about NICEIC (who else) assessors pull up poor sparkies doing a la carte junctions.

GordonK likes this.
  20. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Fair point bazz. I guess the enclosure is important, not just the connection which the Ashley document suggests. A patress box is brittle compared to the wago ones which are pretty durable.