how many chances should we give a tradesman to put work right

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by natto, Dec 12, 2014.

1. natto

natto New Member

how many chances should we give a tradesman to put work right?
    he has already come back once following the initial installation and is now suggesting he comes back in 5 weeks to have another go. this seems wrong to us, sitting here with unfinished work, we are unable to do any of our own renovations whilst his work is unfinished and it seems unreasonable for us to have to wait another 5 weeks before he returns. the job started at the end of october.

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Really depends on the sort of work and what snagging is required.
    If you can give more info about the job and what is wrong maybe with photos, the guys that do that kind of work can advise better.:)

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

As above, are you withholding any money, this tends to gee them up and get it finished, if not it could be a long drawn out process.

Pictures speak a thousand words, so please pop some up for us to have a look at.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Just Twigged, your the window person, trouble is, you are not going to get them back any sooner by the sounds of it, short of a threat of legal action, I can't see how you will get them back any quicker, a complete pain I know.​

5. natto

natto New Member

yup, the window person !
    There is a bit more to this story on a different post, posted today.
    Frankly, we would prefer them not to return, their work was so shoddy and they have already had 2 attempts. We thought we had come to a settlement (see other post) and had started to sort out getting somone else to rectify the work. Now they have come back with an offer to do SOME snagging next year, have returned our paymentand want full payment !

6. Natto, it used to be that you'd have to allow a tradesperson (or business) 3 attempts to put things right before you could say 'enough' and go somewhere else.

However, the law has recently changed and if the people you are dealing with are provably incompetent, then the customer is entitled to say "I don't want them back again under any circumstances!". Eg - if they carried out work to such an obviously poor or dangerous standard, and you'd have good reason to believe that to have them back would only make things worse or certainly no better, then you can show them the door. But you'd need to be sure of your ground here.

I've read your other post and have replied. We still only have part of the info, and one version of events, so can only reply based on this.

However, it seems you have got to a position where you (a) got a price to have this sorted by a different company, and (b) have deducted this sum from their bill, and offered to pay the balance?

If not, that's what you need to do. No 'ballpark' figures or plucking a %-age from the air (1/3rd, etc), 'cos we don't know if that is 'fair' or not. You need to be fair even if this company is not.

I think you are entitled to not let them back just to 'snag' minor issues. If you are confident that the silly windows will be considered unacceptable by most reasonable people, then you have a solid case.

Does your letter to this company explain all this in detail? A LIST of EVERYTHING that MUST be sorted out, and a proper QUOTE for having that done by someone else? And a dead-line for them giving an answer? In writing?

If not, that's what you need, I believe.

FatHands likes this.
  7. Matt holmes

Matt holmes New Member

In my op-ion it depends on what has happened, if he/she shows up late for no good reason, there slacking and its going to take a long time to get the job done, if they have caused damage, its up to you whether you trust them to correct it properly. If someone came into my house and drilled into the wall and through a pipe, i would probably not have them back, although it may be an accident, it puts you off and makes you feel uncomfortable. I will always give a second chance, make a list do one job at a tie check off list per customers satisfaction. Accidents do happen and I am sure it has happened tro all of us at one point or another, just got to take it as a learning experience and move forward, when it comes to the tradesperson not showing up when there supposed to without a phone call there is no excuse, find another worker.

8. Ali-bo-bally

Ali-bo-bally New Member

It definitely depends on the type of work and if its been left in a Livable state. If any monies are outstanding withhold till you are satisfied with the job done.

Ally
    x