how many roof tiles do I need

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by skegvegas473, Jun 29, 2015.

1. skegvegas473

skegvegas473 New Member

I am having an extension/lean to done on the back of my house, it is single storey measuring 3m x 5.5 with a sloping roof.

I have been given between 170 - 200 marley roof tiles measuring 42cm x 33cm.

Can anyone tell me roughly how many tiles I will need as I dont want to have to buy a lot more and be stuck with them.

Thanks

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Well you could find out the recommended overlap from the Marley website.
    You would then have the information to calculate the visible area of each tile in square cm.
    Convert the dimensions of your roof to cm and multiply the length by the width to get the area in square cm's.
    Divide the area of the roof in square cm by the area of a tile in square cm to get the theoretical number of tiles needed. If the courses of tiles need staggering ( some don't) then add say at least 10% to cover breakages / unusable bits of tiles. Then if you get it wrong it will be your fault and not mine.:)

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If the slope section of the roof measure 3m, then this equates to 9 rows of tiles. Leaving an overlap of 75mm, which is a common standard head overlap on sloped roofs, unless you are in Scotland or coastal areas or if the roof slope angle is low, where the headlap may need to be increased to 100mm, but there is minimum pitch depending on the type used and the finish, i.e. smooth and granular,

9 rows x 17 tiles long = 153 tiles