How many sacks of cement do I need?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by alex clarke, May 10, 2016.

1. alex clarke

alex clarke New Member

Hi. I'm wondering if someone brainy can do some maths for me.
    I want a lay a slab of concrete 5m x 3m x 25cm deep
    The sacks of cement are 35kg each. And at a ratio of 5-1
    I am buying ballast by trailer load. Is anyone a ale to work out how many sacks of cement I will need and how many kg of ballast.

Many thanks, Alex

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

3. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I would reckon a sith load of ballast and a bucket load of cement.
    Seriously, ask your builder or even your supplier.
    5m x 3m at 25cm deep may need reinforcing depending on what it is for.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

25 cm of concrete thats quite thick are you sure you have that right ?

5. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

thin for a multi storey car park ;-)

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Are you building a shed for FatHands?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. alex clarke

alex clarke New Member

I was guessing that'd be right. Basically I'm wanting to lay a slab bed concrete area by my pool. For sun loungers etc. how thick would you suggest. Thanks for all your responses. Regards Alex

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

25cm that 10" in old money, what are you putting on it or is it a stand for you're wallet!;)

9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If its only pedestrian traffic, then 100mm with one layer of 142 mesh set at 50mm will be more than enough, but if it by a pool area for sun loungers why not use paving slabs, would look much nicer.

Cement is normally in 25kg bags.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

100mm should be more than ample, so about 1.5 cubic metres, so just over 2.5 tons to mix.

I look at ready mix.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  11. alex clarke

alex clarke New Member

Thanks Phil. I clearly got my measurements way out. Looking at it 25cm is slightly overkill. Im not a professional builder just a chippie hence my request on a forum for advice. This is for my home in France. The cement here comes in 35kg sacks here. I was going to tile on top.

12. Phil the Paver

That's funny that in France cements in 35kg bags, ours used to be 50kg, but dropped to 25kg because of European health snd safety laws, seems like Franch is ignoring EU law again.

Seriously you could get away with 75mm with a 100mm toe around the edge 300mm wide and reinforcing, as long as you use a vibrating poker to remove all the air from it.

Forget all the writing on this pic, it just to show what i mean by a toe.

post-286880-1384669718_thumb.jpg

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Doing that would depend on soil conditions & sub base.

Those were the day Phil, & 50kg cement & plaster bags, youngsters would run a mile if we had them today, my 18 year year old nephew complained about weight of a 25kg of plaster & having to lift it.:eek:

14. Phil the Paver

Youngsters of today don't know their born, used to carry one bag on each shoulder, 100kg, little darling today would die at the thought. :D:D:D:D

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I use to able to do that 35 years ago,but struggle now to carry 25kg:oops:, knees,back,etc, wearing out.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Probably from carrying 100Kg when younger.

17. alex clarke

alex clarke New Member

Brilliant, that's great. So would you suggest I use the whacker plate with some hardcore/stone chippings first then lay concrete on top. ( I see what you mean about the toe).
    It's odd here, plaster is 25kg, cement 35kg, Sand 30kg and lime is 40kg. Makes everything so complicated. I have a quarry just outside our village so I can get ballast for 7 euros a tonne, and endless types of gravel for around 12 euros a tonne.

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No, mc accident, plus being knocked down end of 2014 by a car, hoping to have op in a few weeks to sort shoulder.:)

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yep as a 15 year old used to lug those bags around and then sometimes double working nights in a bakery and sometimes had to unload the delivery lorries which had even heavier bags of mix the size of tackle bags.

Well before gym's were fashionable it was excellent training for rugby

20. Phil the Paver

Yes compact some hard-core down first, if the ground is good and solid 50mm will be plenty.

Don't forget to put a membrane down first this will help spead the load and stop any damp coming up through the slab