How much to charge for fitting fire doors, replacing frames and fixing a gap in the roof

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by jollyjo, Nov 8, 2016.

1. jollyjo

jollyjo New Member

IMG_2438.JPG IMG_2435.JPG IMG_2433.JPG Hi hoping someone can help with what labour costs we should charge for replacing two normal doors with fire doors (one door frame needs to be replaced and a gap in the ceiling above it closing and closing a gap on an already hung fire door.

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

First off why does the top of the door touch the ceiling ?
    And are all the door heights and widths "standard"

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Is this how much should I charge or how much should I expect someone to charge me?

CGN likes this.
  4. jollyjo

jollyjo New Member

How much should someone charge us. Sorry x

5. jollyjo

jollyjo New Member

That door leads to the loft space where staff sleep. It needs filling in with some wood to seal the gap if that makes sence. We struggling to find a tradesman to do the job.

Attached Files:

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

From what I can see that's 3 new doors and liners and a ceiling repair, someone has to deal with the drunk octopus looking for a fight on the first photo.

Joe95 and Deleted member 164349 like this.
  7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

All non standard doors.

8. The loft where the staff sleep?

I cant get my head round this fully. Is it a house? old?

Why the need for firedoors? how secure is the floor, wall and ceiling around it?

Why are no tradesmen interested?

Bit more background info needed in my opinion

9. jollyjo

jollyjo New Member

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And which part of the country are you in ?

11. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

State of that ceiling makes it difficult to judge, not just a simple frame change.

Why do fire doors need to be fitted and where about are you located?

12. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Just saw jackofalltrades and sospans posts, whoops on asking the same questions again!

13. My husband could do bits as he is a carpenter however he too is full time employed and has so much work on he doesn't really have the time to do this and it needs doing urgently

If as you say your husband is a Carpenter,surely he must know what people charge in your area, and a rough idea of cost and time the job would take.

14. jollyjo

jollyjo New Member

We are in Oxfordshire

15. jollyjo

jollyjo New Member

No he works full time for someone. Doesn't deal with that side of things he is more factory based as they do a lot of work abroad and like I mentioned local builders/carpenters are all working on the new builds in and around Oxfordshire so it's becoming more difficult to find tradesman. The place isn't that bad but you can clearly see that it's been a lot of botched jobs over the years in some places like the one door frame.

16. jollyjo

jollyjo New Member

I think the gap was cut to allow the door to open. There are stairs on the other side of the door leading up into the loft if that makes sense

17. Have you had any turn up to look that havent quoted, or cant get anybody to look?

18. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Have you had anyone over to have a look at the job?
    It could simply be a case of, how much are you willing to pay, rather than asking how much it actually would be.

If someone call's me, wanting some work done and their priority is the price,,, I quickly loose all interest.

19. jollyjo

jollyjo New Member

Yes we had a couple turn up and just never gave us there quote dispite phoning and emailing them to chase the quotes, others just haven't turned up. We are now desperate

20. jollyjo

jollyjo New Member

We are just trying to gauge what it would roughly cost