How much to hang a door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by limestone, May 15, 2015.

1. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Well I would expect to take longer than a day to hang a front door, unless it was a small one with not many locks etc, but if your talking about buying it, buying all the hardware for it ,cutting to size ,three hinges, cutting the letter box, hinge protector bolts, door knob ,knocker, letterplate , numbers for door, draught proofing, mortice lock, Chub lock, peephole and security chain. Then over a days work in my book!

2. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Not forgetting getting the old door off as well!

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Never taken longer than a day for a front door, it's got to be left hung and secure at the end of the day so why would you go back.

seen it all before likes this.
  4. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Well I am probably just slower than you, I like to take my time and do a good job (I am sure you do too).The way I do it is get everything ready, buying, cutting to size, hardware etc, then actually fit the next day.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think you need to buy a Festool plunge saw. :):)

6. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I all ready have!:) Also don't forget the weather bar as well.
    Perhaps its just that I am only 14" tall have paws for hands, my heads full of foam and nose and antlers keep on getting in the way.:D:D:D

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Are you running the economy as well?

8. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Should only take a day. Unless it is a restoration job or unusual in size, or on the 30th floor and you have to do all your cutting on the ground. ( I have had that situation).

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

A front door is a job and knock day in that you cannot leave until its done. I remember a nightmarish door hang in Liverpool with a faulty yale and a midnight finish!

10. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

16 hours on a door because of a faulty yale lock. Would have been quicker to go buy a new one. Personally I've never spent more than a day on a front door.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

..and so the pykies get the job again, and do it for 70 quid.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Yep people in Liverpool turn their noses up at me when I tell them £150 to fit and hang a front door.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Do £150 of work and then leave them to stay up all night fighting the scallies off:cool::cool:

14. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Needless to say I don't hang many Front doors anymore ;)

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I avoid them as much as possible.

16. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Perhaps you should charge a bit more for them then eh Chippie!;)

Phil the Paver likes this.
  17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I charge £200 for hang, night latch and mortice lock, anything after that is negotiable.

18. DIYStorm

DIYStorm New Member

Hi, I found this thread which relates to my query.

What is today's going rate to hang a new front door? It's to replace an existing UPVC door with a timber one and a new frame will need fitting too. The new door will need shaping to be hung in the opening.

I've had a quote but not having any experience on door fitting prices I've no idea what is reasonable either...

Appreciate your advice.

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What was your quote? Start to finish including materials could well be in the area of 2k +

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  20. DIYStorm

DIYStorm New Member

I’ve been quoted £780 for the whole job (remove existing frame, supply & install new wooden frame, hang new door that we have and make areas good once completed)

Is this figure about right?

Thanks in advance