How much to hang a new door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Amanda Casling, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Amanda Casling

Amanda Casling New Member

hi, just spent an hour or so looking for this thread to no avail so excuse me if this has been asked before. I am having my bungalow redecorated and have bought new solid wood partially glazed doors. My handyman (self titled) has quoted me £140 per door (there are five in all). He is doing all the decorating, laying tiles etc as well charging £150 per day. Is this reasonable? He seems to be doing a good job of the painting so far. I would appreciate your advice. Many thanks

paj likes this.
  2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sounds a bit on the ouch! side, is he supplying hinges, locks and handles in that price, how many doors will he hang a day.

Amanda Casling likes this.
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

£50-£60 per door is more realistic.

4. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

Where abouts are you? I ask because down here in the far west that day rate would be top end. As far as the doors go, mmmm....

Amanda Casling likes this.
  5. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

He's maybe not overly confident of his door hanging abilities.

I hate hanging doors, I've never fluffed one up yet, but I still hate doing em.

I'd do nothing else if I could get £140 for everyone I fitted though.:)

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I don't hang doors anymore but when I was all set up I was hanging between 5 and 7 doors a day, my late father as a chippie in the 1950's was expected to hang 8 hardwood doors a day in a hotel refurb.......all hand tools no battery or electic!:eek:

longboat likes this.
  7. Amanda Casling

I'm in Hertfordshire

P J Thompson likes this.
  8. Solid wood, partially glazed doors?

Is he fitting the glass and beading too?

He probably doesnt want to do the jobs, and pricing it up in case he needs to replace a door etc?

But if he is hanging, glazing, supplying the ironmongery too, Is he carrying the doors upstairs too? 1 door may be a days work for him if glazing too

9. Amanda Casling

He says he hates fitting doors!

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

In that case get other quotes!;)

CGN likes this.
  11. Amanda Casling

I don't mind paying good money for good craftsmanship. I have bought some 1930's inspired doors with one glazed panel at the top, so apart from painting they are ready to hang. I didn't ask him about hardware or hinges but my gut tells me I will have to pay for those as well. I live in a 1960's bungalow and I expect the frames are pretty ****.

12. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Stop extrapolating on my posts, you.
    :p

13. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Get other quotes he charging to much to hang doors

14. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Yep, that's fair do's.
    A chippy will most likely do them for half the price and in half the time.
    Get a few round to quote.

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The door will have to be fitted into the frame, they will/may require the widths to be planed and no doubt the top and bottoms cut to suit.

16. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

I can imagine that rates in Hertfordshire are more than down here for sure so the £150 day rate isn't unreasonable.
    Like other's have said, doors aren't something many people like doing and can be a pain so maybe he has indeed priced high because he doesn't really feel good about doing them. With that in mind I agree with others that it would be wise to get other quotes.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Are you near Hitchin?

18. Amanda Casling

About 20mins away, in Barkway near Royston

19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

He's a handyman, not a craftsman. He's also a thief masquerading as a handyman by the sounds of it. Realistically you should be charged about £60 per door by a carpenter, it sounds very much like he's not confident about doing them and is quoting you £140 each to cover himself if he buggers one up. Phone round the local carpenters and get a more realistic quote.

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'll do it for half what he's charging.