How serious is this screw "sag"?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Infern0, May 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Infern0

Infern0 New Member

I was mounting blinds and was stupid enough to force a screw into the window casing without drilling a pilot hole. Now the window casing is sagging, like this: http://imgur.com/a/auUUl
    The blinds are kind of heavy and the window casing is made of this hard plastic. How serious is this sag? Will it cause the casing to crack? Should I remove the screw asap?

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Needs a better pic!!!!. Nice pic of teenage witch thou.lol

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I think your screw tip has hit metal inside window frame. This has caused the the outer to bulge as screw could not go in. Drill a deeper whole a fraction longer than screw. That's why window screws have a built in drill end. Screw and drill, all in one.

4. Infern0

Infern0 New Member

Thanks for the reply. Will destroy the casing if I drill deeper though?

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I don't think so. I see blinds fitted to upvc windows all the time, especially in conservatories. The self tapping screws are about 20mm and the hold on the metal box section inside the outer plastic. It's possible you are already through the metal but the few turns before screw got a bite has caused bump . Take screw out and shine light in hole to see. Maybe poke around in hole to feel if your through. It's thin and soft metal.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Can't see it. Usually, metal is in the frame(where openers and sealed units are), so won't be fitting there!
    Lintel, maybe.

7. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

if its a upvc window, the plastic is usually glued to the other section, which is glued to the existing wall structure or existing plasterwork. All of which may or may not take the weight of the curtains.

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I'm thinking this one must have metal inside as that's what caused the bulge when screw tip hit it. The outer plastic frame rose up thread creating a bulge

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Yes. It certainly would do that. Just can't see why it would be in the reveal.

Tell you what it actually looks like(not saying it is).
    Remember the old crittall windows? Looks like the box section of one of them, capped with flat upvc cover!