How should I use PTFE tape??

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by door_stop, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

So how did the Victorians manage to get us out of the dark ages?

Damn sure that they didn't have PTFE and all they had was steam

2. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Proper steam piping calls for threaded steel and cast iron fittings. Copper is a big no no on a steam system.
    But in Victorian times it could have been hemp and cow dung for all I know.
    Or horses hair and candle wax.
    To seal the threading that is.
    Or mebbe they used push fit? Haven't studied Victorian plumbing much.
    You could try some hemp and cow dung on your next gas install and see how it goes.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    Dave does Gas likes this.
  3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

We all know that PTFE is in fact polytetraflourorethalen or sometime like that!!!

4. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

Use boss white on an olive onto copper, use 10wraps of ptfe round the olive when using compression fittings onto hep or similar plastic pipe and 20wraps of ptfe round male copper to iron threads...colleges teach 16wraps but I was always taught 20...never had a problem...oh and when working on a sh**y old olive that's been strangled either remove the strangled piece of pipe or wrap it up maybe 10-15wraps...
    Happy ptfe-ing people x

5. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

And and amothw nice use for ptfe is when an o-ring is weeping, remove the o-ring wrap 2or3 wraps of ptfe in the groove and replace the o-ring and add a bit of silicone lubricant to get her slipping n sliding like a lady of the night gets me out of trouble if I havnt got the exact o-ring required

6. Tallulubloodylah

Tallulubloodylah New Member

Yes it does interfere with the seating of the olive. PTFE should not be used and neither should anything else.not even on the thread. Sealing aids are for tapered threads, not parallel ones .