How stable is "timberboard"

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by DIYDave., Oct 16, 2014.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi all

I'm looking at building a unit with this material at home, so it matches the existing cupboards we have

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Building-Materials/Sheet-Materials/Timberboard/c/1000196

The other cupboards were all store brought but after trying to find a unit of a very specific size to fit in an alcove, I thought that I may as well build it myself
    It will be finished with either a coloured varnish or stain, but just wondered how prone to warping it is

I suppose its classed as "engineered" timber as its made of strips of pine glued together but many of the panels in the shops are badly warped (also in B&Q as well)

Looking at using 500mm depth panels but worried about its stability
    Anyone used this type of product please

2. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

I've used it a fair bit in the past and not had any issues with quite large builds, the problem is getting a straight board in the first place, as you say they tend to be in bad shape off the shelf , they're not stored properly.
    You could consider pine veneered ply or mdf for a more stable product though.

3. Hi DIYDave.

You should find that the board's width is made up from - ooh, 50mm wide? - strips of pine, but the trick is that each strip is turned over so's the grain 'rings' are in opposite directions to each other.

Y'know how, say, a floorboard will 'cup' to some degree? Well, if you imagine slicing that floorboard along its length into 50mm-wide strips and then turning every second one upside down before re-gluing it, you will see how the cupping will balance itself out over the board's length?

That's what these fellows are. So they should be fine.

Of course if they are not supported adequately, they will 'sag'. But they shouldn't actually 'warp' by themselves.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2014
  4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

hi
    i've always found things like this are better quality from a small timber merchant

5. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

and generally cheaper too

FatHands likes this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thanks guys for the help with this, think this is going to be the material of choice, although wont be getting started for a few weeks

As suggested, I popped into a local wood yard and yes, they are cheaper, and that's from a one off independent trader versus the giant power of the sheds !

Cheers guys and have a pleasant weekend

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Unfortunately people are somewhat brainwashed/blinkered when it comes to the likes of Barnes and Quigly and HB etc, 'Tis the easy option for most folk I'm rather sad to say.

8. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Buy timber from a timber yard. Buy sheds from a shed.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Only thing you need to look out for from a timber yard is that it may not have had as good drying/acclimatisation.
    If it hasn't settled, you may take a good bit home and find a banana in the morning!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

FatHands likes this.