How to become a carpenter without an apprenticeship?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by HisBuilder, Mar 3, 2015.

1. HisBuilder

HisBuilder New Member

I was wondering how can somebody these days become a carpenter and start their own business without become an apprentice first?

2. Sunto64

Sunto64 Member

It would seem not that hard as long as they keep away from big construction sites . If they have a bit of money behind them they can buy the tools that will help them appear to be joiners . They may do diy and do small jobs for friends leading to them take more risks and bigger jobs. The thing the cannot buy is experience that is priceless and that comes from making mistakes in a controlled environment with skilled tradesmen to keep you on the straight and narrow. Basically a little knowledge is a dangerous thing that could cost lives.

GoodwithWood and Aztec like this.
  3. HisBuilder

HisBuilder New Member

Thanks for the information. I agree you really need to get experience from somebody experienced.

tore81 and Sunto64 like this.
  4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

How old are you?

5. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Start kitchen fitting

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

:p:p:p He said he wants to be a carpenter, not building giant jigsaws. :D

chesterw, Aztec and metrokitchens like this.
  7. Sunto64

Sunto64 Member

Ok let's be positive if you cannot get an apprenticeship for what ever reason but you want to become carpenter and joiner you need to network and if it as to be start as a labour just to get in with the right guys . Show that you are a valuable asset work hard and get the respect from people that see you working . What ever **** job you get do it to the best of your ability and with a bit of passion. This will give people the confidence to trust you with somthing a bit more complicated . Keep your eyes on your gole and buying quality tools along the way helps others realise your dream. Good luck if this is what you want at any age.
    Ps it's best to get that bit of paper behind you that can open more doors later.

8. The best way is probably as a labourer working along side carpenters. Carpentry isn't the type of trade you can learn over night or even in "6 weeks" like a lot of these courses now seem to state. The average apprenticeship around the world is 4 years and that is because it is in a controlled environment where you are practising different tasks over and over with the supervision of someone who knows what they are doing.

You could go down the handyman route and do little bits and pieces. But then again the trade is already full of cowboys who don't have a clue and that is what keeps me in work :)

9. TartanPaint

TartanPaint Member

Badly fitted kitchens can be dangerous too ... when the mrs sees it :eek:

10. mark cobell

mark cobell New Member

bodjit & scarper have vacancies for.

11. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I agree with some of the above!

Definitely the best way is with someone. Unfortunately companies don't want to take older apprentices on.

Down my way they didn't have any. Some blame the govement not paying etc. I found it very difficult.

But all that sounds very negative. If you want to do it you can. Like above said invest in tools. Do jobs but be prepared for set backs and maybe some stress as its a lot easier when someone is guiding you. Doing the same thing over and over is practice makes perfect.

As for handymen being botchers. I have worked with some great handyman it's a different trade and multi skilled. Not a bad path to follow as you can get plenty of work. With the power of the Internet you can learn a lot. Night courses maybe! Just have to see what comes your way.

FatHands likes this.
  12. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

wow people were easy on this guy, i have seen so many people with their snickers trousers and the complete set of dewalt power tools turn up with totally no idea what they were doing, don't fall into this bracket. sunto has it bang on!
    but be prepared its a very rewarding job but it can and probably will make you cry too!

tore81 likes this.
  13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You may want to check out some landlords/ property developers, quite often they are desperate for people to come and do relatively simple jobs like refitting doors and kitchen cupboards after someone has trashed the place. Don't want to disrespect your skills but sometimes they are just looking to get the place rentable as soon as possible rather than a top notch job as it could be wrecked by the next tenant.

Some mates used to do that. and would end up putting in some long hours to turn a place round and used to end up doing all sorts from rehanging doors, plasterboarding after the walls had been kicked in, fencing and some really horrible stuff with the baths, toilets and drains!

Worth a go if you have the heart and stomach for it

All the best for your future

FatHands likes this.
  14. Deacs10

Deacs10 Member

Your best bet is find a local carpenter that is looking to take someone on as a labourer. Email call anyone, find companies on the Internet. Show them that you are keen, you have your own set of tools, transport and willing to work long hours. You can enroll in a college course no matter how old you are but you might have to find it yourself and if you are that keen in sure you will. You can even do a level 3 nvq in site carpentry which covers site management in the long run will help you out. You might need to exaggerate your experience to the college. In two years you can be qualified. First year depending on where you live you might get paid £60 a day, 2nd year £75 then £100 for 3rd year. After 2 years there are still things you will be learning prob best to stick with the same person you learnt with if only to repay the favour of him teaching you.
    Good luck

15. Thomas Hutchinson

Thomas Hutchinson New Member

Some people have a natural ability, go ahead and practice making basic wood joints, corner half lap, cross halving and 'T' halving , then go on to construct more complex wood joints such as mortice and tenon, bridle,dovetail get a level one carpentry and joinery book. so long as you have the desire to become a carpenter then you will. practice,practice practice and use sharp good hand tools

Thomas H

16. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Many trades and effectively unskilled/manual jobbies don't need any kind of certification. You are seen as competent if you simply decide to do that kind of work. You are a journeyman, learning as you go.Word gets about that you do this or that and work comes in.

I do domestic repair work, which often involves some carpentry; but its fairly simple stuff. Customers refer you by your ability to communicate, effect a solution, cleanliness, reliability and keeping to the budget. So this is more to do with good business principles than being a wonder kid with the latest power tool.

Thomas Hutchinson and koolpc like this.
  17. Bongomandan

Bongomandan New Member

I wondered this very thing around 4 years ago, no qualifications and my job (machinery maintenance) of 14 years was about to go **** up.
    I've always been a practical guy, good at problem solving and I loved woodwork, building benches, decking, sheds, hanging doors etc etc, I decided to start my own carpentry based business... I'm 3.5 years in, loving every minute of it. Currently booked solid and have been for the last year, I've never had a complaint about my work, I've researched a lot, taught myself the right way to do things, reading up on building codes, what you can do, what you can't... Zero qualifications but a great reputation among other qualified chippies.
    I'm happy, customers are happy, who needs bits of paper to prove you are competent.