How to catch a neighbour stealing electricity ?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by sospan, Aug 6, 2016.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Word has come back to me, that the next door neighbour (an electrician) has been bragging in public that he isn't paying much for electricity because he has patched into his neighbours supply.

I live in the end cottage of a terrace there are a few places between under floor or in the attic spaces where he could have fished a wire through and patched it in. I am not sure if he is running stuff all the time or it is just every so often.

The only things I have noticed is that the main switch on half my consumer unit trips out, it may be coincidence but hasn't happened much before.

Without tracing the cables on the consumer unit that trip anybody have any ideas how to identify if he has patched into one of our supplies - so that i can take him for a walk in a forest with a shovel.

2. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

How could he of connected in without accessing your property?

3. Sos, if he's patched in before the supply reaches you, then it ain't costing you anything. He'd have to catch your supply after your meter before he could add to your bill.

But it's still not on - it's theft, pure and simple. If he's really doing it.

What's your concern - that you are paying extra for his power or chust that he's thieving?

But it sounds odd anyways. How do the power supplies come in to your terrace?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

How many cottages in row, have they full height gable wall in attic.

Years ago, at a house I went to do a job, we found previous neighbour had lifted floorboards in bedroom, & removed several bricks in party wall & fished electric cable from the next house & spliced into it.

Only found it, after I had switched off electric to add some sockets & got a nasty suprise when I cut a 2.5mm cable which was still very live.:eek:

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Also he might have bypassed his own meter, easy to do.;)

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Fishing some twin and earth between the floor joists or in the attic space

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easy, if there is enough slack.:)

In the attic it should be easy to spot a cable coming through a wall.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

its beyond the meter. I had Western General (main supplier) come out and check the supply and it hadn't been tampered with.

9. In which case make sure everything is turned off when you go out (but leave the CU main switch on), read the meter, and check again on your return.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Thats the problem a lot of the diving walls are made of rubble stone and don't go all the way to the roof line in many places. We did an attic conversion and I put a stud partition up to counteract the unevenness of the walls - cables are behind these. In some places we only have a 4in wall between us, so he may have gone into the back of a socket!

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Only 4"!:eek:

Time to have a nosey at your sockets I think.

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Thats the trouble it is turning off the fridge, freezer, internet, tv amplifiers, clocks on the oven, cooker hood, microwave - they all drain current (albeit small).

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You struggle to notice the usage on your meter I would think.
    Compare bills this year with last year or earlier.

A energy monitor would show electric usage better I think,they show daily, weekly and monthly usage, some energy suppliers offer them free.

So, it would be easy to see any changes day to day.

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

That's what I have been dreading and probably get an inspection camera took look under the boards

15. Fridge and freezer will happily cope with being turned off for a day. The other items use so little power than I doubt it would show on your meter after a day's use.

longboat likes this.
  16. Do you know a friendly sparky (is there such a thing...) who would 'Megger' your ring circuits one at a delicious time?

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The problem is I am sure he is not running something all the time. I think he is using it for his washing machine / tumble dryer which is why I think one of my circuits is tripping occasionally.

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And one that doesn't know him. Was thinking of disconnecting all my appliances on the circuits that blow and sending something dodgy down them to see what goes bang in his house !

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a spare fuseway in consumer unit, if so get a spark to fit a 20amp radial to a double socket,can then run a extension lead to fridge/freezer, you could switch off ring finals or remove them from terminals & megger them, making sure everything in you place is unplugged before doing so...:):rolleyes:

20. Another possibility is to buy an energy monitor like a Wattson or similar - I bet they are pretty cheap on t'Bay.

You simply clip a sensor over the phase cable that goes from your meter to your CU, and you'll have a constant readout of the Watts you are consuming.

Makes for fascinating reading :)

Any unexpected 'jump' would ring bells. Especially if it was a high-powered bell that was ringing.