How to combine a Vaillant combi and a hot water tank

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jimcc, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Jimcc

Jimcc New Member

Due to a change in room layout in a small annexe I would like to be able to link a small water tank to my existing 824 Vaillant combi. I would prefer to use Vaillant controls and having read a few posts on here I believe that the VR61 combined with a VRF350 may do the job but I am also wondering if the more up to date VR66 will do the job (although I have read that this will not work with pre 2012 boilers). Currently the layout is the bathroom upstairs works off the combi direct and the building has a few small radiators. I want to add a water tank to supply two small shower rooms downstairs and that's the part that is slightly out of sinc with having a combi obviously. I know where to put the valves etc I just want to understand the electronics to run it. I have previously installed a VR65 with my system boiler so I do have some knowledge. I am hoping someone can help me please. Thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Probably cheaper to use eletric showers.

3. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    the way forward is to create a two zone, 's' plan on the heating circuit ,
    its not complicated, each 5 wire zone vale will be controlled individually, by what ever programmers you chose.

you can also add another cylinder if needed!

i can tell you how to wire if you get stuck

regards
    peter

4. Jimcc

Jimcc New Member

Peter,
    Very kind of you to reply, thanks. I have finished all the pipe work and added the zone valves now. I plan to test for leaks this weekend. I was hoping to wire a Vaillant control box like I have done previously with my system boiler as I found this quite simple and it seems to work well. I see now that this is not going to be possible and I need to wire in a more conventional programmer, junction box and controller. I have looked at a few at screw fix and will probably fit the Drayton as it comes in at about £50. I have researched and I think I need to use the terminals marked '3' and '4' on the boiler to act as the switch from the programmer to activate the boiler and these effectively run from the orange wire on the valves. Am I right and do you have a programmer recommendation?
    Regards, Jim

5. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    i think you got it figured out!
    yes its the grey permanent live, brown to open the valve and orange to switch the boiler on. sorted

the brown wire is from the stat/programmer? ok?

regards
    peter

6. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    also the 3 and 4 terminals on the boiler are the 240 supply and the switched live, so you only need to 'fire' the boiler and give it a permanent live
    regards
    peter