How to fill along back edge of an oiled oak worktop?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Davie, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Davie

Davie Active Member

I've had an oak kitchen worktop fitted and gave it two coats of Danish oil both side before fitting.
    There is an inevitable gap at the back where the existing tiles stop about 5-10mm above the worktop. My installer applied a wide silicone fillet all round.
    My questions are:
    • will silicone stick long term to an oiled oak surface
    • will a large fillet which overlaps the worktop by about 10mm be tough enough. The edges will obviously be very thin and then maybe vulnerable to damage?
    Thanks in advance for helpful advice,
    Davy

2. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

What about an oak beading , all around.

3. Or a 100mm oak upstand? Bottom of the worktop and back edge should have had at least 3 coats of oil. We normally seal to the wall then add upstand with silicone seal between the two.

4. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Sounds good to me Davy , good luck

5. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

The silicon will stick but the edge will fray over time.Though I would be more worried about the look of it. How about new tiles?

6. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

You could fit a run of skirting board the same design as your floor skirting.
    Easy peasy. Then you have a match.

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

:p:p:p:p You come out with some classics. :p:p:p:p

8. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

WD40 or UB40 ??

9. gordy1

gordy1 Member

Hiya Davie, Ive just seen your thread so I'm a bit late with this, I fitted a beach worktop in our kitchen a couple of years ago & finished it off with beading along the back, now I'm thinking of changing it to a beach upstanding now, think you would find that a better option for yours perhaps, it will look a lot neater, just a thought.