How to install close coupling connection kit and doughnut washer?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Learner plumber, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Learner plumber

Learner plumber New Member

Folks,
    I know nothing about plumbing, but since I am a home owner, I thought I should start from somewhere. The sighon of our toilet is worn out and I am trying to replace it with a new one. The toilet is Ideal Standard M360, very old so I had to struggle to remove the bolts, wing nuts etc with some help from DW40.

Now I bought a new close kit with a doughnot washer. I put the new siphon with the washer in the cistern. Outside the cistern, I put the metal braket and on top of the metal bracket, I put the doughnut washer (upside down, i.e, the wider side down and the narrower side up). The backnut goes on top of the doughnot washer.

The problem is that, when I tighten the backnut, it is going through the doughnut washer, which makes me think whether the doughnut washer should come before the metal bracket. So below is the order again:

In the cistern:
    1. Siphon
    2. Washer

Outside the cistern:
    1. metal bracket
    2. doughnot washer
    3. backnut

I have not yet mounted the cistern on the toilet, but I have the feeling that something is not right.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

2. fuctifino

fuctifino New Member

Inside cistern is correct.
    Outside you need 1 cistern
    2 metal bracket
    3 backnut
    4 doughnut
    Doughnut with wide end to cistern pointy end goes into hole in pan.

3. > Outside you need 1 cistern

..ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha..:^O

4. fuctifino

fuctifino New Member

Shut up**

[Edited by: admin5]

5. TheRealLeo

TheRealLeo New Member

I realise this is an old thread however my experience may be useful to others. I also had a siphon fault with toilet marked M360 from Ideal Standard made in late 1995. I believe the model name is Reflections or Meadow and it was designed as a 7 litre flush.

I decided to replace the syphon with a Torbeck variflush drop valve (push button partial/full flush) and a fluidmaster float valve to save water and reduce noise as it is an ensuite with a Saniflow (less flushed water = less pumping + shorter quieter fill). I struggled to get these in the cistern without interfering with each other, and in retrospect a torbeck filler may have been better, but by running the actuation cable up, over and then into the button from above it fitted in OK.

Then the real trouble began. Given its condition, it came as little surprise when I couldn't get the original close coupling washer to seal properly. I was pleasantly surprised that Screwfix's sister company B&Q sold the washers separately without having to buy the metal part as well so I bought one.

However it soon became apparent that the existing washer was a proprietary large flat washer whereas I'd bought an industry standard doughnut shaped one. I put in place on the pan and it sort of fitted, but dropped inside the hole rather than in a depression round the edge like the old one. I searched the web on where to buy one, found the ideal standard parts site (http://www.fastpart-spares.co.uk), but model not listed. A similar design was pictured but with no dimensions and of course the help line was closed.

As a temporary fix/act as desperation I decided to try and use the washer I'd bought anyway. I pushed it as far up over the thread and the nut of the drop valve (siphon replacement) as I could with the rounded bit downwards and lowered it in with the bolts in place and hanging down. I tightened it up and noticed the cistern really wasn't very level (nearly a cm gap at the back). Nonetheless I was hopeful it would leak less than before and be usable in the short term.

As you've probably guessed, it sealed perfectly first time with not a drop of water getting through. This cannot be a coincidence so apparently this model was specifically designed to take both Ideal Standard's proprietary large flat washer and the standard type.

6. tackleburger

tackleburger New Member

You may need a larger ring type doughnut washer for this set up. You might get one in a merchants I can but only one out of about five in my area holds them. i believe lunns sell them on line.

7. GKU

GKU New Member

Older cisterns had a 2 inch outlet so the doughnut for them will have been bigger (not so easy to get hold of them nowadays - but still possible)the newer cisterns are 1.5 inch outlets and so most of the doughnuts nowadays are smaller in diameter , maybe thats why you are having problems with your doughnut ;) B&Q sell doughnuts for 2 inch outlets and also , it is'nt easy to get syphons nowadays with a 2 inch outlet :)

8. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

I realise this is an old thread however my experience
    may be useful to others. I also had a siphon fault
    with toilet marked M360 from Ideal Standard made in
    late 1995. I believe the model name is Reflections or
    Meadow and it was designed as a 7 litre flush.

I decided to replace the syphon with a Torbeck
    variflush drop valve (push button partial/full flush)
    and a fluidmaster float valve to save water and
    reduce noise as it is an ensuite with a Saniflow
    (less flushed water = less pumping + shorter quieter
    fill). I struggled to get these in the cistern
    without interfering with each other, and in
    retrospect a torbeck filler may have been better, but
    by running the actuation cable up, over and then into
    the button from above it fitted in OK.

Then the real trouble began. Given its condition, it
    came as little surprise when I couldn't get the
    original close coupling washer to seal properly. I
    was pleasantly surprised that Screwfix's sister
    company B&Q sold the washers separately without
    having to buy the metal part as well so I bought
    one.

However it soon became apparent that the existing
    washer was a proprietary large flat washer whereas
    I'd bought an industry standard doughnut shaped one.
    I put in place on the pan and it sort of fitted, but
    dropped inside the hole rather than in a depression
    round the edge like the old one. I searched the web
    on where to buy one, found the ideal standard parts
    site (http://www.fastpart-spares.co.uk), but model
    not listed. A similar design was pictured but with no
    dimensions and of course the help line was closed.

As a temporary fix/act as desperation I decided to
    try and use the washer I'd bought anyway. I pushed it
    as far up over the thread and the nut of the drop
    valve (siphon replacement) as I could with the
    rounded bit downwards and lowered it in with the
    bolts in place and hanging down. I tightened it up
    and noticed the cistern really wasn't very level
    (nearly a cm gap at the back). Nonetheless I was
    hopeful it would leak less than before and be usable
    in the short term.

As you've probably guessed, it sealed perfectly first
    time with not a drop of water getting through. This
    cannot be a coincidence so apparently this model was
    specifically designed to take both Ideal Standard's
    proprietary large flat washer and the standard type.

Jeez!! Is it just me or did your eyes glaze over after the first few words of this lot?? You would think anyone that can write like that could afford to get a real Plumber to fix it!! Oh well, as I aways say, the educated poor eh!!

Also, a good education generally means no common sense. C'mon this * could've bought & fitted a new WC quicker & cheaper than fannying around like that!!

[Edited by: admin]

9. GKU

GKU New Member

LOL - Woke up with a bit of a hangover this morning then DP

10. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

No hangover. These DIY'ers get on your ****!! It's time Screwfix did as they said & clear them off this forum!! Closely followed by the CC & CCC's

11. takethemoneyandrun

takethemoneyandrun New Member

But then there would only be you left Dick...