How to install skirting boards on top of Laminate?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tellme_why, Aug 3, 2016.

1. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

My laminate flooring is laid on top of 5mm golden underlay up to the wall.
    The laminate edge close to the wall flexes a lot because the 5 mm underlay is spongy.
    The laminate edges are not glued to the floor.

I want to install skirting boards on top of laminate, using screws, hoping that the skirting boards will push the laminate edge down and stop the laminate flexing which is annoying when walking near the wall.

My carpenter says it's not common practice to use skirting boards to push down the laminate and want to install the skirting boards using flooring sealant instead of screws.

No idea what to do to remove the dodgy flexing of laminate :(

Any advice?

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Don't walk close to the wall.

PLPlanning likes this.
  3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Lay a 20mm strip of 3mm hardboard under the edge of the laminate up to the wall. Then you can squash down the skirting.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The flooring shouldn't be flexing, especially only on a 5mm underlay, how level is the subfloor ???

Having said that, is can't be moving much a couple of 25mm at the most, so just sit the skirting on top of the flooring and fix into place.

As for fixing the skirting, I would and do, just use a instant grab adhesive, no screws needed.

5. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

thank you Phil;
    the screws are needed if I want the skirting board to keep the laminate edge pressed down? The sealant does not harden instantly therefore it cannot be used to press the laminate down?

6. Neil1987

Neil1987 Member

Put a piece of timber on to of skiting stand on it then nail or screw skirting that way your weight will push skirting Down and hopefully stop the movement

7. Mr. Handyandy

Good luck with that on laminate! :eek:

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Neil1987

Neil1987 Member

How's that?

9. Mr. Handyandy

Whilst standing on the timber what's gonna stop it slipping out off the skirting?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

and the answer is......he works his way along the length of skirting by screwing the bits of wood to the skirting and the laminate

11. Neil1987

Neil1987 Member

Well I've never had it slip yet :eek:wouldn't like to see your skirting

12. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Ya put one end of the timber on top of the skirting so you have a 10deg slope, or summat like that.
    Then stand on it to push the skirting down. It won't slip off.

13. Neil1987

Neil1987 Member

:D

14. Mr. Handyandy

Good luck with that on laminate!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. Neil1987

Neil1987 Member

So how do you get you skirting tight to floor then

16. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Should have said, 'it doesn't slip off'.
    Trust me, I've done it and it doesn't. :p

17. Mr. Handyandy

I told you. Place a strip of 3mm hardboard under the edge of the laminate all round, the skirting just needs holding by hand.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. Neil1987

Neil1987 Member

So if there's a hump in floor how will that help it's only lifting up the laminate which will invalidate the warranty as floors not flat +/- 2mm o_O