How to lift up a chipboard floor to get to pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DIY DRONE, Aug 2, 2009.

1. DIY DRONE

DIY DRONE New Member

I know i've asked for help on the previous post but thought i'd split up the questions so i can follow you guidance easier.

I need to lift up the chipboard floor in my bathroom to get at the pipes but the boards are huge and disappear under the dividing walls. I' have had to lift some boards before in the en suite and it was a horrible job, if i remember right i cut a small hole just big enough to get my arm in to feel around and locate the beams, wires and pipes. then once i was happy i knew where everything was i cut the floor out as close to the walls as possible with a jigsaw.

then when i put it all back down I had to add new braces between the beams to support the joins where i had cut.

Is this the best way to do this?

2. tightenit

tightenit New Member

If you put your hand under at least your mice will go for your hand and not your plastic pipe and pushfits.You could put baited traps under there and then you can sleep at night.

3. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

4. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Is this the best way to do this?

Not an easy task.
    Here are some practical tips that I have used when the situation has aroused in the past.

1.Use a nail punch and knock the nails right through and draw a pencil line along the holes that are left.

2.Cut along the nail line with a circular saw set at the same depth as the chipfloor.

3 I've always found that it's always better to lift large sections of the stuff rather than pittle about with lifting small sections.

Hope these tips are of some use to you because they are practical.

Luckily these floors now seem to have become a thing of the past!
    Tappy,

5. G Brown

G Brown New Member

I agree, try and lift whole sheets, a circular saw and Fein are good.

6. Loz the Plumber

Loz the Plumber New Member

I find circular saw the best way, well until I hit a cable :(

7. G Brown.

G Brown. New Member

A tape measure, loz, stops the hair standing on end and the teeth chattering.

8. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I tend to use a small hole cutter with the pilot bit removed and drill out the ring shank nails, then leave the nail (with it's circular chipboard surround) in place so when the sheet is put back there are no holes left. I hope that makes sense!

9. G Brown.

G Brown. New Member

Nice work bathstyle, tip of the day.

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Get an apprentice!

It takes them about a day and you have a pile of weetabix at the end of it! :^O

11. DIY DRONE

DIY DRONE New Member

great tips!

I wouldn't feel comfortable using a circular saw, what if a pipe or cable is up against the underside of the floor and you cut straight through? I know youre supposed to recess pipes or cables crossing beams but when i took the floor up in the en suite there was a pipe that was right up tight against the underside of the chipboard and if i hadn't cut a test hole first i would have cut through it.

I love the tip about using a small circle cutter on your drill bit to isolate the nails.

It's impossible to take up whole sheets in my bathroom, it's so small and the sheets are so big that they pass under the dividing wall and into the next room.

12. jmsaints

jmsaints New Member

Hi, there are a number of small power tools now that can plunge cut with depth gauge and are a lot easier than trying to use jigsaws or circular saws especialy in tight spaces, hope this helps

13. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Small plunge tools like Feins etc are fine for intricate cutting. The ( expensive) blades will soon be knackered if you lift chipboard floors with them. Circular saw is best.

14. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

I'm with the Captain! ;)

15. DIY DRONE

DIY DRONE New Member

I went with the circular saw in the end, was a bit nervous to begin with but once i was happy the depth was set right it was quite simple. Just got difficult when a cut was needed tight up to a wall, the circular saw could only get 5 inches away so had to do the last bit with a hand saw.

Now that it's done whats the best method to put them back? Screws perhaps? I hate the floors creaking!

Thanks for all your tips by the way!

16. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

17. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

18. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Bit expensive for the OP's job that Dick! :O

Like ur 'I.T' skills! :O

Me 11 year old daughter can do better than that! ;)

19. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

If I'm on the 'Buckie 'n' Meths' my IT skills go out the window & I can't have a fart if I'm too near the fire!!!

20. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Fire?

It's blazing hot down here in Dorset! We don't light the fire until about Feb and then it goes off again in March!