How to manage 2.6m worktop severely weakened with large cut outs ?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by sorethumb, Jul 30, 2015.

1. sorethumb

sorethumb Member

I have to cut out two large sections from a standard 38mm chipboard / laminate worktop to fit into a former chimney breast - which will then have a cut-out for a gas hob. The sections either side are approx 450mm wide by 500mm deep in an overall length of worktop of 2600mm which will severely weaken it for handling / fitting. What should I do to prevent it from breaking up ? It would be ideal to have 3-4 people carefully supporting it - but not easy for me to get a team waiting around for the time it takes for trimming etc. Should I screw / clamp temporary battens underside and across the gaps for strength during handling ? How do the pro's tackle this ? Thank you for any responses.

2. Hmmm.

You have units fitted in place either side of the chimney breast ready for them? Ok, do you have any spare base units you can position immediately in front of these to support the worktop as you cut it? Then 'chust' slide it backwards (you'll still need at least a couple of people) into place?

It you use a straight length of timber - 4x2 or summat - to push it along the front edge, that should stop the w'top bending as it's pushed in, 'cois the danger would come from one w'top end being pushed harder than t'other...

Hopefully proper fitters will come on with their ideas.

3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Great minds think alike DA.

4. sorethumb

sorethumb Member

Original Poster again: Many thanks for suggestions - I've managed to do the job now. I supported the the w/top on two trestles with an old unit in between to make each cut out. I then sandwiched and G clamped two lengths of 3x1 timber along the front (post formed) edge of each cut out and with one other assistant was able to carry / place into position. The 3x1 'sandwich' made it surprisingly solid.