How to paint a freshly rendered internal wall

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Arijos, Jan 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Arijos

Arijos New Member

Hi, I have a newly rendered wall in my house, its an old stone wall house and I was happy with a floated smooth render finish as opposed to pink finish, how do I now go about painting it and what type of paint do I need?
    I would just use a stabilising solution and sandtex if it were an exterior wall but I'm not sure if the same principles apply or if they are even suitable for indoor use.

Any advice would be much appreciated

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You can use Sandtex if you wish, stabilizing solution not necessary as its newly rendered.

KIAB likes this.
  3. Arijos

Arijos New Member

Thanks for the reply, I did call sandex for my peace of mind as I had read somewhere that it might not be suitable and they said that their masonry paint was indeed unsuitable inside due to the fungicide additives they have, they recommended a mist coat and normal emulsion once fully dry.

4. I was going to say that or'nary emulsion would be fine - but not because of the risk of anti-fung in masonry paint o_O.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek:

I've been using Sandtex & other masonry paints on interior brickwork,blockwork & render for many years, in fact outside bog/utilty room here was done in Sandtex six years ago.

One other point, Sandtex is unsuitable inside due to the fungicide added, so what about
    Dulux Mouldshield emulsion, it has a special fungicide added, it's recommended for most interior walls.

https://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/view-product/dulux-trade-mouldshield-fungicidal-matt

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    Astramax likes this.
  6. And do you have any fungus on any part of your body?

No?

See - it works.

Astramax and KIAB like this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Well, best not use any wallpaper paste ever again that contains anti fungI additives. Poppycock embellished with bull's.

KIAB likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Are they saying that Sandtex is hazardous to the environment and health?

KIAB likes this.
  9. Arijos

Arijos New Member

No not hazardous, I think the point they made was that It would have a lingering odour indoors due to the fungicide they use and a lack of free flowing air as outside, I'm guessing that anti mould paint suitable for indoors take that into consideration and probably take steps to reduce odours.