How to remove oil/diesel stains from paving blocks

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Aka, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Aka

Aka New Member

I have tried B&Q's brick cleaner - not effective.
    I have tried other mild detergents etc - no good.
    A builder gave me some very strong stuff don't know what it was but it bubbled on the porous paving blocks and got rid of the couple of stains and appeared to have bleached the blocks clean. result very good but I can't get the stuff from the DIY places.I have lost my contact as well.
    Can you guys suggest anything or have anyone successfully cleaned the oils stains etc off the paving blocks.
    AKA

2. taffy

taffy New Member

YES it`s called "viking" donot know where you get it from but do a search we use it in work should, nick you a gallon but.........

3. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi Aka,

I used some stuff called Gunk which is an engine cleaner, and cat litter. The Gunk reacts with the oil stain and liquifies it and the cat litter soaks it up.

Is it possible to pull the affected blocks up and reset them upside down?

DWD

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Cilic Bang claims to do this...

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Petrol

Handyandy - really

6. cornishmason

cornishmason New Member

hi aka-
    the stuff the builder gave you is called "Brick Acid".if you go to jewsons it is on offer at moment,£7.50 for 5 litres + 20% extra free.hope it helps
    liam

7. Aka

Aka New Member

thanks for replies guys, it has given me good ideas.
    a. I don't want to put the blocks upside down as they are different shape edges on the reverse side.

b. Clic bang I don't know if it'll work on the porous blocks. I have seen the advert on the TV may try as last resort.

c. viking I've not heard of but I'll try and locate/search etc.

d. Thanks Liam/cornishmason you are right I think it must be the brick acid that did the job nicely last time.
    I've never been to Jewson's before cos I thought it was for the big stuff for big boys.

8. Aka

Aka New Member

Handyandy do you mean petrol and matches!!
    Petrol does'nt stain the blocks.
    it's onle diesel, engine oil, brake fluid etc only I think.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Petrol to clean. Petrol will dilute all those things
    that waste from a car. Can of petrol, pour it on neat, scrub. Few blocks at a time. When finished, brush down with wet soapy solution(fairy or something).

No matches.

Handyandy - really

10. cornishmason

cornishmason New Member

hi aka again-handyandy is on the right track.just had a word with my mate who is a registered marshalls installer and he reckons neat fairy liquid
    liam

11. Stoday

Stoday New Member

Gunk is the right stuff. I've used it for this purpose.

It's a detergent. One half of the molecules binds with oil and the other with water, so you are able to wash off the oil.

Petrol will just dissolve the oil and has to be wiped up. You'll have to use a lot of petrol to clean up, quite apart from the danger.