How to replace a 30 amp 2 gang socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Lil_DeE, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Lil_DeE

Lil_DeE New Member

Hi I have a 30 amp 2 gang socket (picture attached) in the bedroom of my disabled flat. I have replaced all the light switches and plug sockets in the room with these black gloss finished switches http://www.theinternetelectricalsto...-plug-socket-black-art-skt213lbk-101249-p.asp I want to replace the 30 amp socket with the same Trendi black gloss 13 amp 2 gang sockets for cosmetic reason as I don't use any high powered devices is this possible?

20170211_132724.jpg

Tia

2. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

That's a standard 13a twin socket...

Where do you get the idea that its "30A"?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The 30mA printed on the front I expect.

4. It is not a standard socket.
    It is an R.C.D socket and fitted for a reason.

5. BiancoTheGiraffe

It's still a standard fit 13a socket...

Those are only added for additional protection, there is no requirement for an RCD socket in the regs as I recall. RCD protection as required in the regs is always at the DB.

There's nothing wrong with simply replacing that socket with the one the OP wants.

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It could be that the circuit doesn't have rcd protection, this needs to be checked before telling an unskilled person that he can "just change it for the one he wants"!

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

For instance, that may be socket that powers the electric bed lift, disabled hoist, etc. All of those will require a 30mA RCD.

@Lil_DeE what is that socket used for/what was it used for?

8. BiancoTheGiraffe

A lot of homes don't have any RCD protection at all... It wasn't a requirement until fairly recently (I can't remember which version of the regs first brought it in)

I'm not an expert on medical equipment, but I've never seen any 13a appliance which must be used on an RCD protected circuit.

Obviously it's a safety feature, but not a requirement as per the regs...

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The RCD protection is there for s reason. It may be a requirement laid down by the maker of whatever is plugged in to it. Many many disabled equipment manufacturers require it. Many many care/medical facilities mandate it. You must not tell people that
    Unless you know the facts. You do not, I do not. It's dangerous to spray advice willy nilly.

tina lucinda lane likes this.
  10. BiancoTheGiraffe

I'm just speaking as a sparks mate...

I install as per the regs...

If the manufacturers of appliances have special requirements then that's for the users of the equipment to check themselves.

11. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You need to read what the regs say about manufacturers instructions then.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that there's more to installations than "The Regs".

12. micktheknife

micktheknife Member

As a qualified electrician I have had course over the years to post queries to this board (no one can attest to know everythingJ) for advice from fellow qualified electricians. What I fail to understand is why people who have had to serve apprenticeships/attend college obtaining qualifications and qualifying as competent electrician’s feel the need to offer free advice to amateurs. As electrician’s we pay hard earned money to keep up to date with regulations and be members of professional bodies and scheme providers. If amateurs wish to carry out their own electrical work – without sufficient knowledge (else why would they be seeking advice?)They are putting themselves, their family and god knows who else in danger. What would be the consequences if someone was to suffer serious injury or even death from ‘advice’ given by someone on this board?

13. BiancoTheGiraffe

Personally I speak on these forums as I would in a pub...

Plus, I've just been given some excellent advice in the builders forum, it just seemed fair to answer a few questions myself...

shadowfax and Lil_DeE like this.
  14. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

I agree....and this is omething I have alluded to in the past !
    RS

15. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Yeah you are right but they are going to do it anyway or have attempted to do it with or without any advice, no harm in telling people the safe way of doing things, you only have to go in b q or screwfix to see unqualified people buying all sorts of electrical gear, maybe when the scam merchants like napit get their act together and promote the dangers of our trade we might get somewhere.

Lil_DeE and BiancoTheGiraffe like this.
  16. Lil_DeE

Lil_DeE New Member

You're correct, I'm a wheelchair user & my home is a purpose built disabled flat. The RCD socket is in the bedroom for use with various medical appliances. I have lived here well over 11 years & have never used it until last week when I plugged in a bedside lamp to see if it was actually working. The RCD socket also has its own isolation switch in my household fuse box.

17. Lil_DeE

Lil_DeE New Member

As a qualified Computer Software Developer who attended college & Uni for many years blah, blah... I too have my own areas of expertise which I gladly share to help others on various forums in many different subjects. Would it be ok to offer the advice if it were not free? if you don't want to share your expertise then what's the point of joining a forum if not to learn & help others?

You're correct, I'm a wheelchair user & my home is a purpose built disabled flat. The RCD socket is in the bedroom for use with various medical appliances. I have lived here well over 11 years & have never used it until last week when I plugged in a bedside lamp to see if it was actually working. The RCD socket also has its own isolation switch in my household fuse box.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  18. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

If you must have a matching "Trendi" socket, then the only option would be for the RCD function to be provided in the "household fuse box"..

There are several ways of doing this, depending on the fuse box. Post a photo of the box showing the isolation switch and could give an opinion.
    Note: This would be a job for an electrician.

Lil_DeE likes this.
  19. micktheknife

micktheknife Member

20. Lil_DeE

Lil_DeE New Member

This is a picture of the fuse box in question. The RCD Switch is the one below the yellow button. To be honest I would quite happily switch to a standard 13a double socket if possible as I'm unlikely to use the socket for any medical equipment requiring RCD function.

20170224_085447.jpg