How to resolve large gap between skirting and floor?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by skampino, Aug 27, 2015.

1. skampino

skampino New Member

My lounge has been newly decorated (papered walls and painted skirting) before removing laminate flooring which will be replaced by carpet. Unfortunately the skirting boards were fitted over the laminate flooring and now the flooring has been removed there are gaps up to 22mm between skirting and the original floor of vinyl tiled concrete. I have carpet ordered so need to reduce the gaps before fitting can take place. What can be done as I cant have the skirting ripped off and ruin the new decor?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Should be able to get PAR/PSE 25 x 16mm, finish size will about 22mm x 14mm, so will fit your gap, then use gripfill to secure it in place.

Could use wider stock like 25x100mm & rip it down if have access to a saw bench or know so who can.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Or perhaps use architrave in the same way to give a moulded finish to the skirting.

I did do a job for a customer that had a wood floor laid in place of the old boards so there were gaps between 1 and 15 mm all around the Victorian skirting (which measured about 8" tall) I sourced some 3mm MDF and had it ripped into about 5" wide strips so that when it was glued to the existing skirting it fell about 1" below the top moulding when painted the top edge looked just like another moulding line but the skirting did not look overly thick.

With 8' long strips I only needed a join on the longer walls which with a bit of care was invisible, minor scribing along the bottom coped with any major differences.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  4. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Good solution tea break.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Well it must be the same around and across doorway/s etc, so I'd be thinking of laying a 20mm chipboard flooring all over.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Mr. HandyAndy - Really[/QUOTE]
    Laying 20
    20mm chipboard plus carpet plus underlay will create a bit of a step between the doorway.
    9 mm ply would be a better option then lay the underlay and carpet but gently forcing it under the existing skirting, the thickness of the 9 mm ply underlay and carpet should be more than enough to eliminate the gap.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Laying 20

20mm chipboard plus carpet plus underlay will create a bit of a step between the doorway.
    9 mm ply would be a better option then lay the underlay and carpet but gently forcing it under the existing skirting, the thickness of the 9 mm ply underlay and carpet should be more than enough to eliminate the gap.[/QUOTE]

Aye, but generally, the carpet gripper should be higher than the bottom of the skirting, then most effective because carpet is forced and held down behind it!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Mr. Handyandy

Aye, but generally, the carpet gripper should be higher than the bottom of the skirting, then most effective because carpet is forced and held down behind it!

Is this quoting stuff not working properly tonight?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Generally you don't have a 20mm gap under your skirting, hence fitting gripper and also forcing underlay and carpet under the skirting for extra grip.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Yeh yeh, I know. What I'm saying is with a 20mm gap, your 9mm ply and the carpet gripper still won't be as high as the gap, so there'll be no downwards for the carpet to go under the skirting. It'll virtually be flat across the gripper, and into a 10mm void under the skirting.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really