how to secure a toilet/pan to the floor?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by not_a_clue, Sep 2, 2006.

1. not_a_clue

not_a_clue New Member

Hi all

As per my other posts I'm refitting my bathroom...still :(

Anyways, finally got round to having a go at the toilet today.

The cistern and the internal parts were all inplace when delivered and fixing it to the pan was a straightforward job.

I need to fix the pan to the floor but the only fixing points I can see are 2 holes, on either side which go horizontally through the pan.

Am I missing something...like some brackets etc?

Pan was from Wickes.

cheers

Wayne

2. Spyder

Spyder New Member

Cor you've woken up with a bang haven't you? Was it the coffee?

If the holes are horizontal there should have been two plastic brackets in the box. One arm a slotted hole, the other full of 3mm holes. Serves you right for going to Wx.

3. PDPS

PDPS New Member

The holes are usually diagonal and you require a pan fixing kit. Basically a couple of big brass screws with plastic sleeves (so the brass doesn't damage the pan) and caps to hide the screw heads.

If going into wood, drill suitable pilot holes so you can get the brass screws in with damaging them.

If going into concrete use suitable plugs.

Take care marking out and drilling the holes. They need to be in the right place and at the right angle.

4. not_a_clue

not_a_clue New Member

lol Spyder...you know me so well...but that's what happens when you get involved in a 65-post thread! :)

Yeah, obviously missing some brakets...will take a trip to local DIY place and see what I can get :(

Cheers guys

Wayne

5. Simon J

Simon J New Member

Still at it are you!? You'll have to post some pictures on this board when you've completed the job.

You will need some Fischer fixing kit, most merchants sell them.

I'd do a link but can't find them, I'm sure someone will already have the link.

They are easy to use and do a good job.

6. jonyfoz

jonyfoz New Member

pictures ?

how do ya upload on this website eh?

cheers jf

7. not_a_clue

not_a_clue New Member

Don't worry, pictures will be posted (although don't look too closely at the tiling!) :)

Cheers

Wayne

8. TicklyT

TicklyT New Member

I fixed down a pan with horizontal fixing holes by cutting a chunk of 4X2 to the width of the inside of the plinth. There was enough room for it underneath the bottom of the bowl. I screwed that to the floor then wound the horizontal screws into it.

9. stirl

stirl New Member

10. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

11. britishblue

britishblue New Member

bathstyle, why pay £5.80 for two bits of plastic and a few screws, when a couple of bits of scrap wood will do the same job?

BB

12. Spyder

Spyder New Member

13. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

bathstyle, why pay £5.80 for two bits of plastic and
    a few screws, when a couple of bits of scrap wood
    will do the same job?

BB

I would go back to Wickes and get the right bits. I was just giving the OP an idea of the correct fitting ;)

Spyder, that site looks a little like our very own Screwfix!

14. not_a_clue

not_a_clue New Member

Thanks guys, although I think BB may be onto something here :)

Seeing as I have wood and screws I'll try that first - it's FREE!

You'll be pleased to hear that the toilet (although not currently secured to the floor) is plumbed in and works fine - even with my massive 18st frame using it it's not moved so not panicing about it not being secure for the immediate future (although I will of course do it eventually!) :eek:

Cheers

Wayne

15. paaulyb

paaulyb New Member

Just silicone the bloody thing to the floor and fill the holes with white silicone.

It won't go anywhere