How to test a New copper run for new radiator ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dan6770, Jul 29, 2014.

1. dan6770

dan6770 New Member

Hi, My first post to please bear with me -

Ive just put a new copper run in for a radiator on a new conversion.

Before i Dry Line the walls and hide all pipe work i would like to test it to see if there are any apparent leaks.... Would it be possible to just connect the two copper ends up for now with a length of pipe just to run the heating without having to fit the new rad? That way i wont have to fill the new rad up then drain all that water out again ( losing the new inhibitor thats been put in? )

Just to add this new run is isolated from the rest of the heating by 2 fulle bore 15mm iso lever valves. ( thats why inhibitor is in the system )

Am i suggesting something stupid here or is there another way????

Thanks

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you could blank the ends and connect up to the water mains, that'll tell you if its sound,

3. dan6770

dan6770 New Member

i just thought having water running 'through' continuous would be a good enough test ...... Thanks Tom but dont know how id connect to mains?

Obv im a DIY'er not pro

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

no i don't mean having water 'running thou' , the pipework that is going behind plaster blank off ouside the plaster area with pushfit blanks, blank the other ends with ballofix valves, pressurise the pipes with a hosepipe then turn the ballofix closed so the pipes will be under pressure till your happy they're water tight then you can let the pressure free at the ballofix valves,

5. Supra

Supra Member

Replacing the radiator with a length of pipe and switching on the central heating for a while is a good test.:)

Easy to do with you fitting the 2 isolation valves so you won't have to drain much before you fit the the radiator.:)

6. dan6770

dan6770 New Member

Many thanks for the 2 replys much appreciated, i am going to go with the length of pipe between the two outlets and run for an hour or so then cut and drain. Cheers!! ;)