How true

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Phil the Paver, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Oh and don't forget inspiration :)

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Loads of it :D

3. When I taught D&T, when the kids made a mess of their w
    You reckon glass bottles are 'green'? Consider the energy required to manufacture them.

And then consider the amount and cost of water required to clean them for re-use...

A few years back, when recycling was becoming the new 'thing', there was a council rep (I think) on Radio 4 trying to encourage us to recycle. Unfortunately when she said to rinse out the jars and cans she was tackled "Is all that water use green, then?" "Ummm...uh..er...."

4. Returning the glass bottles was done for one reason only - cost.

Recycling 'back then' was carried out for that reason only - to save a few bob. 'Cos we have few bob to spare.

Recycling is done now for truly 'green' reasons. Ok, so some recycling centres haven't got their acts together to fully take advantage of all the extra sorting out we peeps do, but they will. As we have done here in Devon.

As said above, my 'waste' bin bag is as light as a feather these days. It used to be bulging and sagging and ready to burst (still talking 'bin bag' by the way...). Other advantage - seagulls no longer rip them open...

5. Aye - when men were men and...:rolleyes:

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Did you miss something out there :)

7. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Whaaaaat?
    Can you single out and explain just one recycled item that doesn't generate a profit for the said organisation, that does the recycling?
    Just one!?

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The energy used to make glass bottles is only used once in? Uses, if we still washed them out, where as the energy used in making plastic bottles is each and every one of them.

Look a electric cars, sold as the way forwards in terms of greeness, yets the CO2s used to produce the batteries is way more than used to produce a normal car, which over the course of its life time will still use less then the amount used to produce the green car :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh and a BMW 5 Diesel does more mile per gallon at 70 mph than a Toyota Prius, so not really that green.

9. Tee-hee - yup, had to dash. And SF 'saves' your writing when you log orf...

I used to joke to some kids that their shoddy work was 'not fit for fire wood'.

Come winter time, I had boxes of the kids failed wooden projects beside my fire - visitors were horrified as I fed them in one at a time... :rolleyes:

C'mon - I was being green.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

One of the first woodwork projects at secondary school was to construct a bridge using strips of wood measuring about 5mm x 5mm wide and were glued using hot melt glue guns, to make a bridge 2ft wide by about 6" high, we made all sorts of shapes, to see what the maximum load it could carry, mine broke at a small weight:oops: 'SNAP'. A girl in the class made triangular supports within the framework which carried more than 25kg.

11. Jeepers - deja vu all over again!

I did that with a class - thin strips of softwood same size as yours. The idea was to put all their structures knowledge into practice... :rolleyes:

I insisted on PVA - made it more fiddly as it took an age to dry and they had to get the joins neatly fitting :)

I facetiously remarked to one group "It'll probably just be as strong with all the sticks just bundled together in one lump and covered in PVA..."

That is what they ended up doing - and it was... :(

Lesson not learnt...:oops:

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

How could you devs :eek:

I've still got my GCSE project, my post it up here, Chippies going to be well impressed :D

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I was in a non exam group in woodwork :(:(

14. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

I'll take your your lack of a reply as an admission to spouting barlocks.

Thanks.

15. No I can't.

Where does that profit come from? 'Genuine' profit, or subsidy from us tax-payers?