Howdens Oak Doors Finishing

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Dstock, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Dstock

Dstock New Member

I've just fitted unfinished oak doors downstairs and the leaflet says wax or oil shouldn't be used to seal the door. Howdens say wax or oil will not seal the door properly. They suggest varnish, stain or laquer.

I want to use Danish Oil and wanted to see what others think about Danish Oil being used on these doors.

2. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

This has come up on here before , the general concensus is that it's not really an issue to do so .
    Of course I would never recommend others to go against manufacturers instructions ;)
    But if they were my doors I'd oil them , and indeed I have done that to my own.

3. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

If they are oak veneer, the oil may soak in and degenerate the adhesive.

4. MrKieran

MrKieran New Member

All I can say is I was on a job which had loads of these doors fitted and the decorator used a polyurethane clear varnish on them. I asked him because the finish / slight colour change it made to them was the type I like best.

5. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

After visiting some people that had already done it we used Osmo Oil. 3032 I think it was.