Huge price range for a particular tool

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by sospan, Oct 31, 2015.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

In another thread I am in the process of replacing my DeWalt tools with newer versions.

Like most of us I am used to shopping around and take that decision between price and loyalty to our favourite supplier. What has surprised me is just how much individual items vary, a DeWalt torch (DCL040) varies from a reasonable £16.99 to £49.99 for the same item. I could virtually get 3 for the price of 1

I wouldn't mind so much but it is the big boys at the top end and its still genuine items from the smaller suppliers. I don't mind paying a little bit more where I can get good service and future support but sometimes you wonder how much you are getting ripped off by some suppliers

2. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

It always important to shop around. I can buy Metabo 18v lithium batteries for £75 quid from a local metabo importer and distributer.

A hire shop local also has just started selling the Metabo line of tools and are asking £130 quid for the same battery.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Lawson-his do a huge range of Metabo, good service as well http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=metabo 18v#q=metabo 18v&page=0&refinements=[]&numerics_refinements={}&index_name=%22magento_default_products_price_default_asc%22

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Strange there isn't much difference in price on this one - £42 from Abbey Power via a quick search

I am not biased to one make. i had some Makita drills a good few years ago and wasn't impressed ended up buying a DeWalt one which was quite good and stuck with them for cordless. Although Makita have improved a lot since then. Have Bosch, Makita, Trend, Jet etc. for other stuff. Like most brands they do something tools well but other items you go to another brand

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

we need to remember suppliers and shops /retail outlets often have special relations so some will be excellent value within there chosen tool suppliers where they get great discount and low retail prices where as other companies will be paying full retailfor the same deal
    in otherwords there is no such thing a fully good priced web site/retail outlet
    most will have very good deals with some companies but not others
    as said dont assume any price is good without a full and comprehensive check

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015