I haven't a clue?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by stevepenk, Jul 26, 2015.

1. stevepenk

stevepenk Member

Hi

My wife is trying to start a new business building pots and stoneware for the garden. It is only going to be a small cottage industry type of affair but we need some buying help.

She's been buying sand and cement from B&Q and it is working out quite expensive for the small bags of sharp sand, B&Q do a deal for 20kg bags, buy 10 or more and they're £1.37. We cannot buy in bulk so I was wondering if there was anywhere in the Blackpool/Preston area this would be cheaper.

Also I don't know if her mix is right. She is using 2 sand and 2 cement which I think is too much cement. She is making hyper tufta troughs.

Can anyone advise please.

Huge thanks
    Si

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Mix is to strong, for something like that I would say 3 sand 1 cement, but make sure a proper 3.1 by measuring out the amounts in a bucket or whatever that suits the amounts she need, is she using a plasticizer in the mix.

As for where to buy, can't help you, only to say bulk buying is Way cheaper if its loose tipped off a truck.

3. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Have you tried Builders Supply, Jewsons, Travis Perkins, Firwood, & Wickes. Can't think of anymore offhand.

Can't really comment on the mix.

4. stevepenk

stevepenk Member

She isn't using plasticizer. Haven't heard of it tbh, complete novices this end. Can you tell me the advantages us doing so? Thanks a million

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Great stuff hyper tufta, but put some reinforcement fibres in the mix like Adfill (polypropylene (PP) fibres), can buy in plastic bags, it will give the object some reinforcment. (Google concrete fibres)
    Several mixes used, some use 'All in Ballast' at 3-1 mix, others use sharp sand again 3-1 & different amount of peat can be added depending on finish wanted, & some also add cement colouring

Papercrete is something you don't see much now over here now, seen it done 30 years ago, don't know much about it sadly, something I wanted to play with, but have never got around to it.
    Surprisingly there a few video's on Youtube, quite popular other side of the pond & there plenty of ideas for
    hypertufa on the tube.

http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/pdf_files/publication/AGS-Hypertufa_Leaflet.pdf

7. Would adding waterproofer also be a good idea? Help protect the objects survive a number of winters outdoors?

8. Wow - love the texture of these :).

I'm guessing not weatherproof outside in the long term? Or, can it be modified to make it so?

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Waterproof, but unlikely to be frostproof I would think.

Great stuff Adfill, can also get in paper bags, which just you throw in the mixer with each mix, paper disolves.
    Casted a few window cills in situ a few years ago, used Adfill in the mix, as well as rebar to give the cills some extra strength.

http://cmga.caes.uga.edu/documents/HypertufaDirectionsReflections.pdf

Could use some Waterproofer admix or something like Evermix 204, 3 in 1 admix which waterproofs, plasticises & retards I would think.

And Pinterest is a good source of info for hyper-tufa.

https://uk.pinterest.com/mandolamama/hyper-tufa/

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  10. stevepenk

stevepenk Member

Will look into Adfil, they don't need to be super strong. They are made with fairly thick sides and the biggest she does is about 2 foot wide by a foot deep.
    What would she need to add to make them winterproof so they don't crack?

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The main cause of them cracking is the damp soil freezing & expanding.
    Might not be so much of a problem with smaller pots.

But, items like a butler sink which have been covered hyper tufta, doesn't seem to suffer from frost damage.
    I remember reading somewhere, that if you are in a cold location, adjust the mix by lowering peat/volume, which would reduce frost damage.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Apparantly curing the hyper tufta it the biggest cause of failure from frost damage.
    It can survive the Canadain winter without to much trouble.

http://www.bluefoxfarm.com/hypertufa-projects.html

Also look on your local Freecycle,Freegle for sharp sand, always peeps giving it away, or place a wanted ad for some.

13. To add to the handy tips, do not dry in direct beating sunlight (wait for the British comments) as the moisture will dry out before the cement is cured, and likewise do not let it frost over before the cement is cured or the moisture will freeze.