I need an investigatory plumber for this one!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rache, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Rache

Rache Member

The management company told me they're only responsible for the communal areas, like the garden, but are willing to write to the landlords of the flats to remind them of the terms of the lease and the need to maintain equipment, etc.

First they need an email from my plumber, who'said hard to track down,lol.

All this on four hours sleep again is too much

2. Blimey.

I think a vibrating washing machine would sound very distinctive, and they only tend to make an annoying noise when on spin. So you could expect a thrummmm which increases in speed, lasts for around 1 minute (? no idea...) and then dies down. That sort of thing.

I'd have thought if would be obvious if it were that.

3. They need an email from your plumber? Eh?!

Good grief.

If you are on good speaking terms with your neighbs, show them the 'exploding cylinder' video and tell them they should really be contacting their landlord pdq... :rolleyes:

I guess, ideally, it should be the actual flat occupiers of the dripping tanks who should be making the moves.

I wonder if persuading them that they are losing water that they are paying for would help focus their minds...?

4. Rache

Rache Member

I've always got on with my neighbours in all other situations, and these neighbours I'm on speaking terms with, but for some reason at these flats no one really chats informally outside ever and people aren't home till late, so it's never a good time. eg vibration is happening now but all lights are off in other flats and I wouldn't want to knock on any doors.

Exhausted with all this to the point of not being able to message here properly, I'll report back if I get something tangible.

No it's not the washing machine, i agree with you, I just know it's not. If anything it might be linked to heating as it seems somewhat worse since we've had cold weather over the last few days.

of course I don't think the other occupants are aware of the dripping pipes, I mentioned it to one and she's mentioned it to her landlord, but the other person i dont see.

I'm rambling on about nothing I'm so tired, lol

5. Ok, this sounds serious :(.

I was going to suggest environmental health, but I see you've tried this :oops:.

Not sure what else to suggest - it looks as tho' it's going to have to be something serious like you contacting their landlords and 'putting them on notice' that the disturbance is affecting your health. Perhaps a doctor's note might help (I'm just thinking aloud, really, 'cos I don;t know...)

I suggest you phone or visit your local CAB and ask advice there. It's clearly gone on too long...

6. Rache

Rache Member

Thanks. :) Finding those dripping pipes was a bit of a breakthrough though, so I might be closer to getting it solved than it feels. Just tired out. I'll get back if anything tangible happens. Ultimately I can move. Right now I'm curious to see if those dripping pipes get fixed whether it goes away.

7. Good luck and keep us posted.

I'd have thought that a dripping unvented (pressurised) cylinder should be checked out asap.

I suspect it's simply down to an expansion vessel that needs attention, but it could be due to a faulty immersion thermostat that's allowing the water to boil...

(If we don't hear back from you in a week, we'll assume you've been launched to the moon...)

8. Rache

Rache Member

Or one half of the building has and I'm cheering from my window as I will now have peace! lol.

I think this is coming from two different flats possibly. I've just had my 8 mins past midnight 'knock' from downstairs and then vibration....got to be more than a coincidence.

But at times of really intense vibration, I get the impression it is coming from the downstairs side flat, because it seems to coincide with the comings and goings of that occupant and also a fast leak from their pipe.

Actually I'm hoping the cold weather will mean a total boiler breakdown for both flats. No offence to the occupants who are innocent in all this I think.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. It is astonishing that more than one flat makes the same sound - the PRVs on more than one hot water cylinder make leak and make similar noises.

I wouldn't even expect these valves to do that - they are usually silent. There must be something about the route the pipes take - perhaps through a hollow floor area where the sound is amplified or summat.

Sadly, I don't think the cold weather will have any adverse effect on the boilers... :oops:

10. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

I had a block of flats that had water hammer when the booster pumps changed over

11. Rache

Rache Member

Actually, Devils Advocate, you've made me think...how could I be getting vibration of my floor when the two boilers are downstairs and the pressure relief pipes go out of the building downstairs. The leaks DO coincide with the vibration though.

Tomorrow I'm going to phone up the builders of the property and ask them if they will go through the archived plans, I will pay them if they'd do it. Need to know what's under my floor. What's curious is its across the whole floor, all 4 rooms of my flat when it's going on.

12. Rache

Rache Member

Thanks. Can you educate me, lol. I've no idea what that means and desperate to find the answer to this problem.

This vibration can go on for hours on a saturday when the neighbours are home though, that wouldn't fit with a 'change over' would it? (still not knowing what that means)

13. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Hi

How many flats in your block?

14. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Ok just read back,

It seems someone has a expansion relief valve faulty, a very violent banging,

You need to ask for an annual inspection to all plots.

These valves are to warn you of a serious fault

15. Rache

Rache Member

Thanks....there is no noise as such, just my floor vibrating like crazy. Are you thinking this based on what I said about the leaking pipes? If so is it possible for my floor to vibrate even though those leaking pipes are coming from two different downstairs flats and going out of the building down there?

I have one neighbour on the first floor like me, he mentioned that he's had a valve replaced on his boiler, it's noisy he said, but not causing any vibration. He's not taken me up on the suggestion of switching things on and seeing if they lead to a vibration in my flat. His outside pipe is not leaking at the time of the vibration, the two downstairs ones are and I get a 'knock' sound, just once, every night at 8 mins past midnight (I know cos I'm on here and the clock is right in front of me and I've got used to it)

Thanks for reading

16. G&W Plumbing & Heating

They aren't leaking pipes they are discharge from a safety valve

17. Rache

Rache Member

Thanks. It just looks like clear water.

Tonight intense vibration and it's only coming from one pipe, not the flat beneath me, but the flat beneath my next door neighbour. That pipe has a lot of 'stuff' around the bottom of it as well, like rust, but not rust colour, some green in it too.

18. It's 'normal' water, most likely from the unvented hot cylinders.

The 'stuff' is limescale salts from the water 'hardness' - the water (presumably hot) evaporates as it leaves the pipe ends and leaves the dissolved salts behind.

The green rust is verdigris from the copper pipes.

Something occurred to me , tho'. You say that the noise starts with a 'knock' at a fairly precise and regular 8 minutes past midnight? I'd been assuming that this was the PRV being forced open by rising pressure inside the cylinders due to them being heated up by immersion heaters.

However, I don't think it can be. If it were, then the pressure would only rise to PRV-opening point after the immersions were on for a considerable time, but there's surely no way that the water gets to that 'PRV' temp at the exact same time each night! I mean, if the owner had used more hot water than usual that day, then it would take longer that night for the temp to rise to the point where the pressure increased to pop open the valve.

So, surely the 'knock' is directly due to something that is on a timer?

I wonder if G&W was on to something when he said 'pumps'? Perhaps there's a mains booster pump that fills a storage tank of some sort somewhere?

What the hell else can it be? What a mystery.

Rache, have you had anyone in to hear/feel this vibration? If it is anything like as bad as you say, then this is a significant environmental health issue, so surely you can force the council to act - and they can then 'oblige' the building's owners to sort it?

Get some advice from the CAB

19. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

I've thougth about this a lot. Whne you say there are "leaking pipes" outside I presume you mean an open -ended pipe rather than a leak from a joint - in which case this (as has been said) is an "overflow" from a pressure relief valve.

However I think that is all a red herring in terms of the vibrations you are experiencing, but as also said, those "leaks" must be sorted out pronto. It is an urgent safety issue.

I now think your vibrations are caused by a central heating pump (the one which drives hot water around your radiators and through your unvented tank), from the boiler- either your pump or a neighbour's. The fact that it occurs at specific times means that that pump is on a timer - not unusual to be activated at night if people are away from the house all day. Futhermore, the pumps themselves are ususally quite silent in operation but it is perfectly feasible for the pump vibrations to be transmitted through pipework remotely from the pump iteself,and set up the vibrations you describe.

if this has been something that has developed over recent times, (rather than from your first day in the flat) this would also be explained by a timer having been re-set to give the effects and times you describe.

This could be easily checked - check your's and your neighbours timer/programmers and force them to activate the pump (there will be "off" and "continuuos" settings on the programmer) - abnd listen out for vibrations.

diymostthings

20. My money at the moment is on a pump as well, tho' not a central heating one. Why would that come on at 8 minutes past midnight? Why isn;t it running when it would be required - all evening and mornings?