I need an investigatory plumber for this one!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rache, Nov 19, 2016.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Is it the bricks creaking as they heat up?

2. Rache

Rache Member

I don't think so thanks chippie244...I'm getting the feeling it's all coming from a flat that is below my next door neighbour! The last one I'd have thought, but it's always when they're home. The vibrations, etc, are just too strong, running throughout my whole flat.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'd go back to the red wine solution then.

Rache and koolpc like this.
  4. I simply don't know, Rache.

I cannot think of any pump that is required for these flat's heating. Storage heaters certainly should be silent in use - apart from the odd creak, I guess.

One possibility (since I've been looking at this option for my bro's flat) is that some of the flats have 'wet' systems installed which are powered by an electric boiler. This boiler is used to heat the hot water cylinder, and this in turn involves a pump. Now, they wouldn't have fitted this sort of electric boiler to just heat the hot water tank, so these flats must also have had 'wet' radiators installed. Do you know if any have?

5. Rache

Rache Member

So there's not usually a pump just for an unvented water heater that's not connected to the heating (the heating being separate, such as storage heaters)?

I've no idea if anyone has wet radiators installed, I know downstairs is exactly the same as me, so no. the two side flats I've no idea at the moment, I'll get back when I have something tangible to tell you all, you've all been really patient on this.

6. Yep, I can't think of any reason for there to be a pump anywhere on a storage heater/immersion heater type electrical system - which is what you have.

If there was a large cold storage tank on the building's roof that couldn't be filled under normal mains =pressure and therefore required a booster pump, then that could - just about possibly - be an explanation for a pump coming on. But, frankly, I think the chances are minimal.

And the only other possibility is if someone changed their storage heater system to a 'wet' one with normal radiators, as this requires an electric boiler which then does use a pump even to heat the hot cylinder.

But, again, I'd consider this to be very unlikely as the cost of conversion wouldn't justify the questionable benefits.

So, sorry, I'm stumped.

Perhaps it might have to be a case of having thick soundproofing underlay placed on all your floors and refitting your carpets over this?

7. Rache

Rache Member

I think a move is in order, as soon as I can. I've tried different mattresses, 2 mattresses even, anti vibration pads under the feet of the bed, I just don't think a change in carpetting will work with this type of vibration...

What's good here is that your thought process tells me it's not about a pump, most likely. lol.

So...the pressure release valves...

Then there's the neighbour who has had a valve replaced on a water heater...and says he wonders if it will 'hold' whatever that means...(although his outside pipe isn't leaking).

I'll get back if I have anything new to report.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  8. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

I'm beginning to wonder if this is nothing at all to do with the heating/hot water systems. The usual suspects for these have effectively been eliminated. I'm now thinking of an appliance that vibrates when in use (possibly connected to the plumbing system such as a washing machine or dishwasher and then transmitting the vibrations to you). These could be on a timer, explaining the precise nature of the vibration timings. I really think the "leaking pipes" observations are a red herring (although they should be sorted ASAP). Even our fridge hums and shakes a bit when the thermostat cuts in and out. In all this I'm surprised that the landlord is not more active - surely he has a legal duty to make his tenated property habitable?

diymostthings

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Maybe one of your neighbours has a time machine?

10. Rache

Rache Member

I know intuition isn't the same as expert knowledge, but my intuition is saying that it's not a washing machine or dishwasher, because of the length of time it can be on, and also because I have asked the neighbours and they are saying no, and somehow I believe them.....BUT what is curious, the things that stand out are:

1) When I'm woken by it the person in the flat beneath my next door neighbour is always up and her kitchen light is always on, this is in the early hours (but what could vibrate up a wall to my first floor, she's on the ground, and then turn at a right angle to come across my floor I don't know)

2) My next door neighbour (above that girl) reports having a noisy boiler, needs a new one, has had a valve replaced on it and has been very passive and avoided my request for us to switch on appliances to see if there's a corresponding vibration in my flat.

The situation is a crazy one. RE the leaking pipes, the landlady for the person directly below me has agreed to have my plumber go in and check her water heater, due to her pipe leaking, but I have to get him to call her and he never answers his phone. I have asked him to email the management company for the building as well and he hasn't done it, despite telling me on the phone that he would.

Meanwhile I have heard via my landlady that, despite the leaking pipes, he doesn't think they are leaking enough to be a problem, as they are not gushing hot water.

It would help to tell me that and I could go back to the landlady for downstairs at least.

Either way, that probably rules out downstairs.

But I'm amazed that the landlady for downstairs isn't concerned or looking into it herself. Perhaps it's because her water heater is new, bought just over a year ago.

The other leaking pipe is for the girl that seems to be waking me when she's up and about very early, but it never used to wake me, it's the vibration rather than her that's waking me. As yet her landlord doesn't know about it because the management company for the buildings won't contact the landlord until they have word from the plumber (ie something concrete and from an expert).

Environmental health have said they won't ask the remaining two adjoining neighbours if they can check appliances. This is because I am suggesting it is more than one flat. They would rather come out and experience the vibration for themselves. Problem with that is that they'll still not know where it's coming from! They'll know I'm not crazy but they won't know where it's from....so we'll be back to my suggestion of approaching the neighbours again. I can't keep approaching them myself, I already have a couple of times, I need someone to explain it's an environmental health issue and that they really need to do some checks, but this won't happen.

I'm reluctant to have EH come out and have a wasted journey because they'll close the case. The vibration doesn't happen at a time that's suitable for them to come out and the anti social hours are not so precise for them to make a night visit (they're willing to do it, but I don't want them to just yet, because I'm getting very little sleep as it is, still trying to hold down work and various other family issues, and I may go through the stress of having them come out in the middle of the night for something that, sod's law, doesn't happen)

I think the conclusion to all this is that I must lie in bed in a vibrating flat and not sleep, be stressed and get ill.

I'm not sure what to do at the moment and now christmas will soon be upon us....for now I cannot think. Thanks for your thoughts though I really appreciate it.

11. Rache

Rache Member

Well I never thought of that! lol. I like that idea though, but they need to let me in on it!

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Valium or a move to the country.

Rache likes this.
  13. Rache

Rache Member

LOL, chippie244

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm sorry for the stress that you're going through but unfortunately, realistically, nobody is going to care enough about your problem to try and find the answer.
    As Margaret Thatcher said "There is no such thing as society"

15. If EH are willing to come out at a suitable time, then that's your next move. Just be certain it is a perfect time - the 8 minutes past midnight or whatevs is was.

If they hear/feel this vibration too, then you should be on a good case.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

In a house of multiple occupiers, freeholders, leaseholders and landlords what are the chances of someone holding their hands up and saying "This is my problem and I will pay for it?"

17. Rache

Rache Member

It'll be every landlords problem if I go to the local press, which may happen down the line. No one in our town will want to rent here...as it is I'm friends with the local taxi firm and you know how word spreads amongst taxi drivers and their customers.

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Really :confused::confused::confused:

19. Rache

Rache Member

Yes I think that's probably the most rational thing to do, it's just going to be finding the right time, 8 mins past midnight is reliably a knock sound, but not reliably vibration. will work on it, I'm just exhausted today and have other stresses going on, thanks.

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's not going to happen though is it.