I Need Help building a post and beem structure using glulam

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by jeremiahorgel, Feb 27, 2016.

1. jeremiahorgel

jeremiahorgel New Member

Please I need some help. I have a old house but I will like to build an extention over the old one. I am not allowed to put any extra load on the current foundation because of our building codes. I am planning on using glulam columns in front, on the sides and behind the house and running beams accross them to support the 2 additional storey I plan on building. I included a rather crude sketch of my intentions.

I am not sure it will work since i cannot have columns on the house. The height of my glulam columns are 30feet and the beam will span 60feet.

Please can this work? If it will what size do the columns and beams need to be in terms of width and depth.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I guess you are not located in the UK. I think you need to consult with your local planning authorities and engage a structural engineer.

3. jeremiahorgel

jeremiahorgel New Member

Yes. I consulted one and he was talking about doing some models and other things to see if it will work. He doesn't know about glulam or engineered lumber though.
    All he knows is concrete and steel. People here don't like to build with wood. They think its inferior

4. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

5. jeremiahorgel

jeremiahorgel New Member

Thank you so much. Very very good stuff.

PaulBlackpool likes this.